Assumptions And Chances

I find that if someone has Aspergers Syndrome, because they look normal, people often assume that we are. I can't tell you how many times I have been told to "Communicate, Shadowe! Nobody can read your mind!"  Or "why don't you look at me? Its no trouble for anyone else!" And those just make me want to talk or communicate less.

When dealing with us, it can't be assumed that just because we can joke with people or laugh and mess about with friends doesn't mean we can always get out the words we want in more serious settings or when asked questions we weren't prepared for or about things we may not be so keen to notice, like social things. Yesterday I was at a bible study and my friends and I were on the couch. The one leading it who answers to mom from any of us, was asking questions. We had just been joking around and laughing but when it came to answering questions, I couldn't do it. She pushed me to 'share' so, thinking I had comprehended her question, I started to answer. Four words out, she startled me as she said "STOP" rather forcefully. She began to tell me how I was supposed to answer and for all the world I thought I had been doing just that! She asked me to look at her but I refused. I felt like it wasn't very fair to ask me to 'share' and then tell me its wrong when I do. She continued as to why it was wrong. But I wanted to say that if she had given me a chance that's what I was trying to do.

Even if you don't know what she are trying to say, give us a chance. We might surprise you. But interrupting when we are actually talking in an uncomfortable situation only get a you a more silent and withdrawn Aspie.