Chapter 66

Draco thought she was going to step away from him immediately.

It wouldn't have been the bizarre thing to do. She had likely thought that the task was more about something material rather than straight up murder.

Instead, she had just nodded. "Alright," she said quietly. "We're killing Dumbledore, then."

Kit, of course, was chilled to the bone. Sure, she was down with murder when it came to supporting any of her friends. But killing a wizard who the Dark Lord himself hadn't been able to kill? Then again, that same Dark Lord couldn't kill a baby... if he'd just dropped it out the window, that might have been more efficient (no offense to Harry).

Her mind was racing as she pulled Draco back into a hug. She needed to figure out how to go about this. Her immediate instinct was to tell Alastor, but if she did, he'd probably kill Draco. Her next instinct was to tell Sirius and Remus. But they would tell the entire Order, and they might urge her to get away from Draco as soon as possible.

Thus, Kit knew that there was only two other alternatives. Snape and Dumbledore.

Snape, the undercover Order member. She didn't trust him, but he had helped her in the past to keep her safe from Barty Crouch Jr. And if Snape was getting his prized post at last, he and Dumbledore must be getting along quite well. Snape, after all, would never hurt Draco, and would likely know about the task already.

Dumbledore, head of the Order. She didn't trust him either, but the constant twinkle in his eye always suggested he knew more about everything than he let on. Was there any small possibility that he might not react so negatively if he found out someone was trying to kill him? Sure, he was old, but he might still take offense if he learned that Draco was planning his murder.

Chewing on her lip as she rested her head on his shoulder, Kit didn't know what to do. But she had a feeling that she was going to have to tell Snape or Dumbledore, eventually. As much as she wanted to keep this a secret, it was safer for an adult to know in the meantime.

She and Draco had parted ways without a more intimate embrace, but there had been an understanding that passed between them that let each of them breathe out a sigh of relief.

The following morning, Kit found the ceiling of the Great Hall was serenely blue and streaked with frail, wispy clouds, just like the squares of sky visible through the high mullioned windows. It made her smile a bit as she tucked into her porridge and eggs.

Today felt like it would be a good day.

"So, how did it go with Draco yesterday?" asked Su as she came to the table with her.

"Good," said Kit smoothly. "I think we worked out what we needed to. We'll see how he acts today in classes."

Su pouted. "Does that mean we aren't going to be partnered together for anything?"

"Don't be absurd, of course we're going to be partnered together! We've been Charms partners for ages, just like in Transfiguration."

Su beamed. "Yay! I don't suppose Harry and Ron will split, but I wouldn't mind partnering with Ron..."

"Go for it, then," said Kit as Flitwick started to come around distributing schedules. This time, he had to first check that they had achieved the necessary O.W.L. grades to continue with their chosen N.E.W.T.s.

"Su Li," squeaked Flitwick as he came down, looking over at his clipboard. "Yes, 'Outstanding' in Charms, Transfiguration, and Herbology, very good for N.E.W.T. level. 'Exceeds Expectations' in Defense Against the Dark Arts as well as Potions— very well! You did very well on your O.W.L.s, I'm sure your mother was very proud. You are sure you don't want to continue in Divination? Professor Trelawney is eager to accept students with an 'Acceptable' into her class."