Chapter 27

The following night, Kit finally found herself with an assigned detention for her previous outburst with Snape.

Professor Flitwick seemed to have delayed it as much as possible, which she was thankful for because it gave her time to cool down a bit. But now as the summer term rolled in following the Easter holidays, she found she had to serve it.

"Wish me luck," sighed Kit as she gathered her things in the Gryffindor Common Room. They had only just received Percy Weasley's answer. Hedwig had also brought a package of Easter eggs for the trio. Both Harry's and Ron's were the size of dragon eggs and full of homemade toffee. Hermione's, however, was smaller than a chicken egg. Kit hadn't received one at all, probably because she hadn't yet met Mrs. Weasley formally, but that was nothing compared to the tiny thing Hermione had gotten.

"Your mum doesn't read Witch Weekly, by any chance, does she, Ron?" Hermione had asked, crestfallen.

"Yeah," Ron had replied, with a mouth full of toffee. "Gets it for the recipes."

Kit winced, and Harry had quickly offered to read Percy's letter, which had been short and irritated.

As I am constantly telling the Daily Prophet, Mr. Crouch is taking a well-deserved break. He is sending in regular owls with instructions. No, I haven't actually seen him, but I think I can be trusted to know my own superior's handwriting. I have quite enough to do at the moment without trying to quash these ridiculous rumors.

Please don't bother me again unless it's something important. Happy Easter.

"Somehow, I thought he was nicer than this," mused Kit. "He was really nice to me before when I'd see him with Penelope in the halls."

Regardless, the lack of information on Crouch had left the rest of their time together being dull, as Hermione was still hurt by Mrs. Weasley's not-so-subtle gesture.

Kit left the Common Room, glad that many students were still out in the halls. She took the long way to the dungeons to purposely avoid the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom as well as Moody's office.

To her dismay, Snape awaited her in the Potions classroom, seated on his desk and apparently grading papers.

"You know what to do, Thompson," he drawled, pointing a lazy finger toward the cabinet with the cleaning supplies. She shuffled toward it wordlessly, grasping the duster first and beginning to drag it elegantly over every nook and cranny of the classroom.

Neither of them spoke for the first hour. Kit took her time dusting, thinking hateful things about Snape in her head for entertainment. Then, she transitioned to sweeping, moving the stools around as loudly as she could to bother Snape, though he didn't register even hearing her.

Once she had moved on to scrubbing over the desks, she heard the door open, and she thought perhaps Flitwick would come and save her from this labor, but to her absolute horror, the man that stood in the doorway was not Flitwick, rather Mad-Eye Moody.

She tried to pretend that this didn't bother her, but it did. The man limped in, casting her a look before heading to Snape's desk. She was frozen, just staring, the sponge dripping soapy liquid onto the desk. She was trying to control her breathing, but her chest ached. It was already bad enough to be stuck here with Snape. But Snape and Moody? Would they gang up on her? Ridicule her? Or worse?

"See you've got a little maid here," chuckled Moody as he leaned against the blackboard. "What'd she do this time? She's a troublemaker, this one."

"Thompson always manages to earn herself detentions in my class," said Snape, not looking up. He absolutely despised Moody. He didn't want him in his classroom. "I suppose some children just act out from a lack of attention back home."