Chapter 61

August 3rd, 1996

The day of Andrea's wedding, Kit had broken her ankle.

It was her fault, entirely. She'd neglected practicing to walk in the heels she'd been given as part of her bridesmaid dress, an elegant sky colored frock that fit her figure nicely. But it was longer than expected, and Andrea had wanted uniformity, therefore she'd asked Kit to wear some shoes that'd keep the dress from dragging. Unfortunately, Kit had tossed the shoes far under her bed so that she wouldn't damage them, and had pushed off practicing until it was far too late.

"I'm going to look fucking ridiculous," Kit had said when she'd nearly knocked Sirius down on her way to the kitchen. "I can't— ouch!"

Sirius didn't catch her before she slipped, and a loud crack made her let out a scream through gritted teeth. Resisting the urge to laugh at her, he examined her ankle and huffed. "Broken. Just your ruddy luck, hmm?"

"Oh, piss off, don't rub it in," she moaned, her face flushed from the pain. "Ow— ow— don't do that!"

"I have to set it somehow," said Sirius, trying to put it in place before waving his wand over it. "It'll feel like a sprain all day, but at least it'll heal. Don't walk on it for a bit."

"The wedding is in five hours! I can't just sit here!"

"Well, Hermione will arrive shortly for you both to get ready, so don't be too concerned."

The wedding had happened near the beginning of July. Kit hadn't had much time to grieve before she was forced to put on a happy face. It was alright, granted that she was indeed quite happy to see Andrea after so long, but the lingering feeling of pain was not easily going to go away. At least, Hermione had been invited to the wedding since Harriet had taken such an immediate liking to her, which meant Kit had quite a bit of fun. It had been a perfectly calm ceremony, just family and a few friends. Nehemiah Johnson, the American MACUSA representative that Andrea had wed, was a perfectly nice and rather funny man only a few years older than her. He was very intelligent and from what it seemed like, very kind. He was the eldest of five, with the youngest four being a very rambunctious group of quadruplets aged thirteen who went to Ilvermorny. It made sense to Kit why Andrea had preferred for her and Blaise to be the ringbearers instead.

The ceremony had been very heartwarming. Blaise and Hermione had walked out first, and had waited on opposite ends of the altar for Kit and one of Nehemiah's friends, a tall and sharp-nosed male named Fitz who didn't speak much. Fitz had been in charge of holding the utensils for the minister, while Hermione had held Andrea's bouquet off to the side after she was escorted down the aisle by a very teary-eyed Harriet. When the time had come, Blaise and Kit had given the couple their rings, and they'd been wed.

The after party was excellent. There was some very interesting and rather delicious finger food choices that had Hermione and Kit shamelessly going back for more. She'd watched Blaise and Hermione dance for the majority of the time, her ankle prohibiting her from moving too much. It hadn't been bad, though, she had been accompanied for a brief moment by the Johnson quadruplets, who were comical in the sense they had absolutely no filter. They were a matched set of fraternal twin girls and identical boys, with quite a lot to say.

After the wedding, Kit's summer had been fairly uneventful, but anything other than boring.

She had given herself time to wallow in sadness, which was aided in the fact that aside from Sirius, the only consistent visitor was Harry, who very much understood Kit and didn't make her feel obligated to heal faster. Dumbledore had asked the Order to wean themselves off of using Grimmauld Place as a constant meeting location, since they were concerned that Bellatrix Lestrange could find a way to gain access to it, through Kenneth Thompson's help, of course.