Chapter 47

December rolled around and Kit's mood gradually worsened.

First, she'd come to terms with the fact she was not allowed to play Quidditch anymore. She had cried, and beat up several pillows in the process. She'd felt ashamed when Roger had asked her about what'd happened, and she'd had to deal with his almost judgmental look as she told him the truth. Initially, the incident had just caused her more anger but she thought it would dissipate and she'd calm down again right in time for the holidays, as she usually did.

This was not the case, especially not when the package from her father arrived.

It was a small box, about the size of a brick, though weighing less. Pinned to the top of the box was the letter containing what Kit was sure would be a lengthy threat.

Instead, all the parchment said was:

"A lesson to be learned. Next time, the piece will be from Draco's body."

Her heart hammered in her chest as she'd tore open the box, in the privacy of the bathroom where she'd gone to view its contents, since the last time she'd received a package from her parents, it'd been in regards to her and Draco's impending nuptials.

She'd let out a strangled scream and dropped it, when she found a bloody hand inside. It was a woman's, clearly, but certainly not her mother's— it was much too pale and youthful, containing extravagant rings that she didn't recognize. Blood had leaked onto the floor of the lavatory, and Kit had made quick work of cleaning it up before anyone found it, vanishing the hand and taking several deep breaths to calm herself down.

Her father had tortured someone and sent her a piece of evidence.

Sick to her stomach, she had been sitting over the toilet for hours, throwing up a few times as she tried to rid herself of the memory. The anger she thought was disappearing made itself known again, and with trembling hands, she'd gripped the edge of the toilet so hard that her knuckles lost an unsettling amount of circulation. She supposed her father intended her to be scared, and she was, but on top of that, all she felt was rage.

She hated his obsession with having power over others. Last term, Su had quietly asked why her parents didn't just disown her, and Kit had pondered on it, answering that her father relished in domineering others in any way he could. She wished she could get disowned, even if it meant she would struggle. Anything would be better than returning to that wretched home every break and spend time with the awful man who had taken away her mother's freedom.

It had made her more irate to think of her mother. Poor Alison Smith, cursed in a manner that no one had ever noticed before. Still trapped. Kit recalled Alastor Moody's warning from September to not dare try anything, but at this point, she was too furious with her father to think of anything else.

Either way, she was not eager to listen to Moody's advice from before. She wasn't thinking of his suggestions, just any answer in general. November had ended, Kit's hand had scarred over once more from her detention, and yet, she had received no response from him yet after the many letters she sent.

There was a chilling moment when she assumed the worst— her father must have found out about their correspondence. Perhaps he had killed him, or made him disappear, and The Daily Prophet was too scared to report on it for others to know. The sudden hiatus was making Kit antsy, and she hated it.

By December, she was back on her old bullshit again, as Blaise called it.

She was crying more often, in secret, needing to vent, and it hurt her eyes, which led her to give unnecessarily rude stares in the direction of others. She was avoiding Draco and the Slytherin Common Room in general, trying to focus on her studies, though that was really just a ruse for her to be left alone and let her mind wander toward plans of murder that she could have befall her wretched sperm donor.