Chapter 79

The next morning during Charms, Kit and Su were partnered for a task.

"You and Ron were getting frisky, hmm?" Kit teased. "Otherwise I reckon you'd have come to the dorm earlier and fallen asleep in your bed."

Su blushed. "Shh, don't be so loud."

"I wasn't being loud, I whispered!"

Su giggled lightly, her cheeks pink. "Well, you're not wrong. It was incredible."

"Congratulations," Kit told her, patting her back. "You seem quite happy with how it went."

"I am! It's more amazing than what you let on. You should have told me how good it felt."

Well, that would have proved difficult, considering Kit hadn't actually done it. But she played along. "Oh, well, I didn't know if it would go that well the first time, it um, didn't for me," she lied. "Hurt a bit."

"Yeah, it did at first, but it wasn't that bad, we both were learning and he was gentle— really comforting. I think next time it will be a bit better, too, once we're comfortable."

"That certainly explains why he has a certain glow about him, today," Kit said, smirking as she looked over at Ron, who was quite happy. "Just make sure you're ready to ride your broomstick instead of his when we play Gryffindor in a few days—"

"Kit!" said Su, covering her face and muffling some giggles. "I did not ride his broomstick."

"Didn't you?" said Kit innocently.

"No, but I might next time. Have you... to Draco?"

"No, I haven't," said Kit, so she at least wouldn't be lying.

Su's eyes widened. "Really? You mean— he doesn't mind doing the work all the time?"

Kit tried to think of their work on the Vanishing Cabinet so she wouldn't lie again. "He doesn't mind. He enjoys it, actually. Doesn't want me overexerting myself."

"Wow," said Su. "Not that I mind having to do some work, of course— I heard it can be quite nice. But wow."

Kit squirmed in her seat. "Er— anyway, did you hear that Ginny and Dean broke up?"

"I did!" said Su, not minding the change in conversation. "Oh— wait, Flitwick—"

They both stopped chatting as he made his way toward them. "Let's see, girls, did you turn your vinegar into wine yet?"

Kit and Su both showed him their goblets, which were full of deep crimson liquid.

"Very good," he said happily, moving on to the next row of students.

"Anyway," said Su, "I heard they broke up for some really random reason though— like, Dean pushed Ginny or something and she was saying he wasn't letting her be independent, blah blah blah."

Kit was marveling at how accurate the Felix Felicis had been last night. Harry's luck had included Kit tripping and causing a break up.

"Sucks for the Gryffindor Quidditch team, though," mused Su. "Dean and Ginny won't be as coordinated at our match. But— better for us! We're going to have the upper hand. All us Chasers have our formations down really well. And I'm glad Declan has improved so much— are you sure about him replacing Stewart as Keeper?"

"Yep," Kit answered. "I think he's the one we need to stand a chance against Ginny and Demelza. As for Seeking... you reckon you want to do it this time? I think you'll give Harry a run for his money— better than what Cho can do against him. She hasn't been trying all that hard lately, she's really stressed about her N.E.W.T.s."