Chapter 59: Kara (Stella's POV)

"Okay, whats up with you now?" my dad asked, sighing as he relaxed into his seat. I was lying in the living room, sprawled across the leather sofa. I was too lazy and emotionally drained to move. I haven't really moved much at all in the last week and one day. I haven't known what to do with myself.

        "Nothing's wrong," I mumbled, flipping through the channels. Nothing was really grabbing my attention, so I left it on MTV, watching some stupid reality tv show that I didn't really care about. All of the shows were pointless.

        My dad never really pushed for answers, so instead he let out his breath and sank further into his recliner. I passed him the remote aimlesly, allowing him to put on one of his sports channels. I normally liked baseball, but I just wasn't in the mood.

        I moved into the kitchen, and pulled out water from the fridge. I opened the cup, taking a long sip of it while leaning against the island. The sun was pouring in the windows. It was getting closer to the end of June. It was almost July, and I would be spending the Fourth of July alone, with my dad. We never did the firework deal, so normally we'd just order in food and rent movies. It was boring, honestly.

        I fiddled with the stupid bandana around my wrist, unable to bring myself to take it off. The necklace was also around my neck, and I just -- I didn't know what to do with either of them at this point. I felt like if I took them off, there was zero chances of fixing anything. It was like I was making my mind up forever if I got rid of them. I didn't want to do that.

        The doorbell rang, and I was the first to move. If there was a game on, my dad probably didn't even register the noise. I slumped towards the door, water in my grasp, sighing while unlocking it and pulling it open.

        I let the bottle fall to the ground when I saw who it was. My throat felt like it was going to close up, but I kept it in, squealing while launching myself into her arms. She stumbled, giggling.

        "Jesus, Stella. You act like you haven't seen me in years," Kara breathed through my tight embrace. I ignored her, holding her even harder. My heart felt like it was pumping again faster, like I was more alive.

        "Why the hell are you here?" I breathed out, pulling away from her.

        She smiled, tan skin moving with her dimples. Her hair was lighter from the sun, and she was sporting one of the guys t-shirts from tour. Her flip flops looked dirty, no doubt from her weeks outside. Overall, she was just Kara, and for some reason, that made me feel even better.

        "I told you I was coming home early. We have orientation this week," she grinned, and I moved to the side to her ler in. "I was going to come home tomorrow, but I figured you wouldn't mind me coming home early."

        "Not at all," I sighed, smile never leaving my mouth while picking my water bottle up off the floor. I shut the door, and she walked into the kitchen.

        "Hi, Jim," Kara smiled towards my dad, and he gave her a surprised expression. He stood, walking into the kitchen and giving her a hug.

        "I thought you were gone with the boys all summer?" My dad always seemed to love Kara. She was a good kid, and was really great with parents. I knew my dad would be happy to see her around, even if she was best friends with Alex. Even though he seemed to prefer Adam over Alex, he adored her.

        "Orientation for UM on Thursday. Came home for some much needed girl time," She beamed at me, and I felt so much better. It was like I finally felt like home was restored. I was missing a few people, but I didn't mind at the moment. I was happy with this girl being back.

        "I forgot about that," My dad scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. "Well, it's good to see you Kara. I'll let you guys talk. I'm sure you've missed each other."

        "Mhm," I nodded, grabbing another water from the fridge and walking to the back porch. Kara followed, shutting the back door behind herself as we walked towards the pool. I didn't feel like being inside anymore.

        I sat down at the edge of the pool, sticking my feet into the water. Kara did the same and I could feel the heat of the early afternoon on the front of my legs and face. My tank top stuck to my skin, but I ignored the feeling.

        "When did you fly in?"

        "This morning at eight. We were in New York, so it was really cheap," she shrugged. "My parents were so excited to see me at the house," she chuckled at the thought. I smiled slightly, looking at the water while I kicked it lightly. It caused ripples throughout the pool.

        "So, what have I missed?" I let out a breath, glancing towards her. She looked at me fro the corner of her eye, smiling lightly. She shrugged again, leaning back, and resting her back against the hot stone around the pool. She put her hands behind her head.

        "Jack talks when he sleeps, Rian and I both hate the bunks and Zack is probably the easiest person to live with ever," she added. "And Alex has developed an unhealthy relationship with alcohol."

        I winced at Alex's hame. I didn't know how to handle what she was telling me. Alex and alcohol? We all knew that Alex liked to drink, what was so different about it now?

        "What do you mean?" I asked, and without having to ask for specifics, she knew who I was talking about. She sighed slightly, closing her eyes against the harsh sun.

        "I mean that he's been drinking nonstop for like a week straight. When I left this morning for the aurport, he was still up drinking. I'm pretty sure Jack was with him. He's just been drinking alone. It's sort of sad."

        "Wonder why," I murmured quietly. She laughed once, and it caused me to glance towards her.

        "Obviously it's because of you, Stella," she rolled her eyes. "Even though you think you're not supposed to be together, it's a little obvious you are."

        "He hasn't even texted me."

        "Of course he hasn't. He thinks you want it to be over. He isn't going to come crawling back. One thing Alex hates, is to be wrong. He's never going to come to you."

        "That's not fair, at all. He's so wrong," I sighed, running my fingers through my hair. "Sometimes you don't have to be wrong to apologize first. Sometimes it's the only way to fight for what you need in your life, and if you don't, you'll lose everything."

        "Why the hell does it have to be so hard with Alex?" I grumbled, hands rubbing together.

        "It's hard with every realtionship, Stell," Kara laughed. "Trust me, you and Alex are nothing out of the ordinary. You're just a couple who is too stubborn to admit how they feel. There are plenty of people like that."

        "You're right," I let my breath out again. "Should I even go to the show, then?"

        "Of course. Even if Alex is being an asshole, he really misses you," she paused. "The guys do too. Jack has been dying to see you, and Rian and Zack want youthere to keep him occupied. You're the best person for that," she teased with a silly grin. I rolled my eyes, heart aching for my friends.

        "What if Alex doesn't even look at me?" I whispered softly. Kara thought about it for a moment leaning off the pavement and sitting up next to me. She scratched her chin and shrugged.

        "I don't think he'll be able to just walk away from you," she thought about it, speaking carefully. "He cares too much, even if he doesn't realize it yet. He isn't that stupod."

        But then again, he could be.