Chapter 51 - cream in red blood

Chapter 51 – cream in red blood

I'm dressed already in a black hoddie; demine shorts and leggings when it comes to two. I get up, stretching slightly before picking up Dagger and taking him to my dad’s room – the last thing I need is my dad stalking me. After gulping down a cup of hot coffee I head outside to size up Derik’s car. Its one of those Jeep things, in black. After looking at it for a moment, my mind is made up. I pick the lock – something I probably shouldn’t make a habit of but after being kidnapped decided it was a good skill to have – and get in, hiding behind a box in there. I sigh.

I thought I agreed to just let Phi do her own thing. To let her get on with life and learn from her mistake.

She won’t learn if she is dead.

Well maybe Derik is okay, maybe the baby is screwing up your senses.

Or maybe you are just looking for an excuse to get back into bed, curl up and relieve yourself of responsibility.

So what if I am? Why should it be my responsibility. She isn’t my kid. My kids are with me where it is safe.

Safe, exactly. Are you willing to let Phoebe run into something the opposite of that?

I’m not...

But you are. You are letting her run into danger if you don’t do this.

I'm in the car am I not?

With second thoughts, could you live with yourself if she was killed?

I couldn’t live with myself if my children are injured. I've got to think about priorities. They should come first. I shouldn’t be taking part in these games anymore. Not when I'm pregnant and not after what happened last time.

Last time is the past, and tomorrow is the future. But what happens today cannot be changed once it happens. You need to take a hold of this situation and make sure nothing happens to her.

And if I'm caught?

Nothing.

Seems the small voice in my head has no answer for that. But it does have a point. Whether I'm pregnant or not my first duty is to my family, and however much I dislike her, phoebe is a part of it. I can’t just give up my games when sometimes they are necessary. But I can’t help but feel that if I had said nothing, left him be, none of this would have happened. Maybe if I had explained politely, maybe flirted a little, he would have left us alone. Maybe if I had lied and said that she had a boyfriend, that we all do, he would have just smiled and left. But like the voice said, that is the past. And I can’t do anything about it.

I jump as I hear a voice. Who’s? Derik’s? No, Phoebe’s. But I can’t... she’s too quiet. A thump?

I peek in-between  the boxes to see her pressed against the car.

Okay, now I'm pissed. She is just snoging him.

Like you did with Joe.

Hey I was drunk, not my fault.

She could be drunk...

Where the hell is she going to get alcohol from?

No answer, great.

My breathing stops as the car door opens and they get in, Phi climbing across. She laughs? What’s so funny?

“Really?” I hear him ask as he starts the car and drives.

“Yeah she thinks your dangerous or something like that. Told me to “stay away” and that “you tried to seduce her” this morning.” I hear him laugh.