Chapter 50 - Naive child.

Chapter 50 – Naive child.

I wake up just as the sun finishes rising and I hear a blue bird singing. Somehow Dagger got outside and is now curled up outside. Much to my surprise, my back isn’t killing me and I'm quite content to stay out here for the rest of the day. But I have people to see, relationships to build, trust to give back... this is going to be one busy day.

My poor dad.

I know I should be angry but I can’t be. His family is dead and I know what that feels like. To have no one left is like drowning. Sure he has us kids but still... he was upset.

II frown when I see a car pull up only to realize it is Derik. He gets out the car but the look in his eyes isn’t the same as when he left. It’s wilder, more animal like. He slams the door and starts up the path.

“Long shopping trip.” I call over to him and he stops. The look is disguised slightly by a smile but I'm not fooled.

“Saffron was it.” I nod and get up stretching my back. Dagger weaves in and out of my feet as he walks over to me. “What happened to your face.” I wince and fight the urge to touch the spot I know a bruise has formed.

“There was a misunderstanding.” I say truthfully.

“Some misunderstanding.”

“Some shopping trip.” I say. “You’ve been gone for hours.” He smiles.

“You been waiting for me?” I roll my eyes.

“Your car makes enough noise for me to know you didn’t come back.” I comment meeting his gaze with one of danger. He is trying me...

“And you came out here when you heard me come back?” I shake my head.

“Wrong again. I was out here before, being that Joe stole my bed.” I frown, what makes him think he has the right, now that I think about it.

“And he is the father of your child? Why not just sleep with him?” I scowl.

“He is the father not my boyfriend.” I say. “Why does everyone think we are together.”

“Because you act like it.” I roll my eyes. “If you aren’t together then how...” He trails of.

“There was a thing and a thing and a lot of alcohol.”

“You drink?” He sounds oddly hopeful.

“Never again.” I say and he laughs.

“That sounds like the answer of a coward.” I frown and keep my voice low and steady.

“Don’t try your luck Derik.” I tell him carefully. “Pissing of a pregnant teen is the last thing you want to do.” He smiles and laughs slightly.

“You've got some fight in you, I could do you fine.” I shiver. There is no way I'm having sex with anyone until I'm married. And I'm not getting married to him.

“I’d like to see you try.” I say and he takes a step towards me. somehow, I keep my ground. “Don’t make me kick your ass!” I shout feeding anger into my face. “The last thing I need right now is more drama.” He laughs and shakes his head.

“I like my girls feisty.” He says seductively. “More fun that way. Harder to brake.” I ignore him as he strokes a finger down my cheek.

“I'm thankful for what you did, but stay away from my family. We don’t need people like you around at a time like this, okay? We will get along fine if you keep your distance.” My voice is strong but I'm feeling anything but.