Chapter 13 - A piece of the puzzle that I refused to put down

Start from the beginning

"Here you go", Adrian said and handed me a warm cup of Butterbeer.

"Thank you", I mumbled, still glancing over at the scene outside.

"Everything okay?" he asked as he noticed by absence.

"Yes, I'm very sorry", I smiled, pulling my eyes from the window.

"Is it Malfoy again?" he asked suspiciously.

"How do you know?" I frowned.

"Well, it's always Selwyn and Malfoy, isn't it?" he chuckled awkwardly.

"Selwyn and Malfoy? That even sounds ridiculous", I scoffed. "Our names should not be in one sentence together unless the word "hates" is in between them."

"Oh come on, if you really hated him, you'd have started ignoring him a long time ago."

"I'm not going to let him talk to me like he does without saying something about it."

"I'm not saying you should, definitely not, but it's not always him who starts the bickering."

He wasn't completely wrong, I did start with the little fights sometimes, but that was because I enjoyed taunting him, not because I enjoyed his company.

"I'm sorry I started about it. Let's bring up a more pleasant subject, like the match against Gryffindor in two weeks. Will you be there?" he asked.

"Of course I'll be there. I have never missed a quidditch game before."

"Great, then I'll make sure it's a match worth spending your time on", he winked. I analysed his features to stop the blush from creeping onto my cheeks. No need to blush.

"Can I ask you a rather personal question, Adrian?" I asked, leaning forward, resting my chin on my hand.

"Of course, what is it?"

"Why are you so flirty this year? We met last year but this year you've started acting differently, even though you know I don't date."

"Aren't we on a date right now, Selwyn?" he smirked. I raised an eyebrow, not responding so he could not avoid my question.

"Well it's different this year. You were just fourteen when we went to the ball together. Now you're almost sixteen and you've ... changed quite a bit", he said, blushing slightly.

"So it's because I have boobs now?" I remarked, shaking my head. "Repulsive."

"No, no, it's not that", Adrian defended himself. "I just see you differently. You're not a little girl anymore. You're more mature and intelligent and you suddenly have this demanding presence that just seems to captivate me." Why was he so good with words? It was very difficult to keep my composure around him.

"And you've become very beautiful, but I'm not talking about the shape of your body."

"Well, thank you, that's very nice", I mumbled.

"What about you? Is the only reason you accepted to come with me the bet about becoming quidditch captain?"

"What if it was?"

"Then I would not believe you."

I could not suppress the smile that was pulling at the edges of my lips and I felt a feeling I hadn't felt since the Yule Ball. The feeling had caught me so off guard that time, because it was the first time I had felt it. I had felt it when I walked down the stairs to the Great Hall and I caught Adrian's stare. The way his mouth was slightly agape and he didn't blink for a good half minute. I felt it again, very briefly.

Tiny little butterflies.

"Well, I'll admit that you're not the worst company", I said, not breaking eye contact.

"That's the nicest thing you've said to me in over a month, Selwyn, we're really getting somewhere here", he joked.

"I'm not an easy catch. Shouldn't surprise you", I shrugged, finishing my Butterbeer.

"Good thing I like a challenge."

I put on my coat to hide the blush that was definitely there now and grabbed my scarf.

"Come on, let's do some shopping", I grinned.

I linked my arm through his again as we walked out. It was chilly, but there was no wind and the sun was out.

"Do you mind if we stop by Spintwitches for a little? I need some new gloves", he said as we passed the sports supply shop. I nodded and we walked in.

Adrian was a very driven quidditch player, so I decided to let him look around on his own for a while. I had never played quidditch and I probably wouldn't be very good at it, but it seemed fun. It seemed like something I wanted to try.

"Didn't think I'd ever catch you in a sports supply shop." I turned around to see Malfoy next to the stand behind me, turning one of the displayed snitches around in his hand.

"What can I say, I'm full of surprises", I said, admiring the little golden ball. I had never seen a snitch up close before and it was actually kind of beautiful. Malfoy noticed my look of admiration and handed me the small object.

"Here, you seem a lot more interested than me", he said.

"I've just never seen one up close. They're quite beautiful", I mumbled, taking the snitch and turning it around between my index finger and thumb.

"Bloody annoying they are. Only nice when they don't have their wings out."

"Well annoying or not, you better catch it when you play against Gryffindor", I said, putting it back where it was displayed first.

"Of course I will. I'm not letting Potter win", he sneered. I wasn't the biggest fan of Harry Potter, but Malfoy's dislike for the boy was on a whole different level. It was one big cockfight, both wanting to be better than the other.

"I'm counting on it", I said as I noticed Adrian walking up to me with a small paper bag.

"See you around, Malfoy." I met up with Adrian again and we left the shop.

"Again with Malfoy, are you sure I don't have any competition?" he smirked.

"You've got loads of competition, Pucey, but Malfoy isn't one of them", I said. "He's not exactly my type personality wise."

"Well I'm sure your mother would be elated. It still hurts that I was the second choice as your Yule Ball date."

"Oh if it was up to my mother and Mrs Malfoy, we would've been betrothed already. Luckily I have a little bit of control over my own life still", I sighed. My life had been a set puzzle since I was born, but that was a piece of the puzzle that I refused to put down.

"Well, I'm glad about that", Adrian winked. "How about I continue convincing you I'm worth your time by buying you some sweets. I've heard the way to a woman's heart is through her stomach", he grinned.

"Well", I mumbled. "I can't exactly deny that."