Chapter One Memories

The night sky has always been a favorite sight of mine. Lying down on a mossy forest floor I allow my eyes to linger upon the twinkling stars. Searching desperately I am finally able to locate a constellation. I connect each shining light by tracing my finger through the air.

"Valacirca" I whisper to myself. The awakening of the elves. Seven stars, said to be put there by Varda to enlighten the elven awakening. A recent memory projects itself onto the back of my eyelids as my eyes grow weary. Memories I wish I could live once more take over.

...

A voice comes from nowhere. "Where have you been?"

"I was just...out," I reply.

"Just out? I have been worried sick!"

I look at my feet, ashamed. "I am so sorry, my lord."

His fingers gently grasp my chin, lifting my face so my eyes meet his. "Please," he hesitates, "just be careful." He places a soft kiss on my forehead, then leaves me with a caring smile. Chills travel down my spine as my cheeks become a light shade of pink. His long, blonde hair, trails down his back, swaying side to side with each step.

....

The splash of a small raindrop on my forehead pulls me from my trance. I look around cautiously, only to find the starry sky and forest once more. I feel it is clear that I have deep feelings for Thranduil, but I am afraid I must conceal them. It was one fleeting moment highly unlikely to lead to anymore. After sparing a few more moments to myself, I slowly rise to my feet and prepare to head back. I toss my arrow-filled quiver over my shoulder, grab my longbow, and set off to home.

Along the path back to Mirkwood a small doe cautiously approaches me. I stand in awe for a short moment as she stares back. She stares at me for a while more, allowing me to carefully run my fingers along her forehead. She flinches slightly at my touch but does not pull away. After a few moments more, I say goodbye to the little doe and continue my journey home.

Entering the realm and seeing its beauty once more makes me feel happy and I cannot help smiling. I love that I can call this beautiful place home. I wander around inside for a while, lost in thought. Do I tell him? What would I say? What would he think? Does he share similar feelings as me? Don't be foolish! Of course, he doesn't!

I am ripped from my thoughts as quickly realize I am headed towards the floor. I land hard on my hands and knees but try to keep my composure. Confused, I look up to discover Thranduil standing over me. I can feel my face turn scarlet as it burns with embarrassment. "Oh! my lord, I am so sorry! I was not paying attention to where I was going."

"No, I am sorry, it was my fault. For, I did not see you." He reaches his hand out to me. I look up at him and he gives me that same sweet and caring smile. Taking his hand he swiftly pulls me up and into his arms. I stare deeply into his piercing blue eyes and feel the same heat that resonated in my face rush through the rest of my body. I try to hide it with an awkward smile.

"What are you smiling about?" He says with a slight tease in his voice. I try to conjure up something to say, but I find myself unable to. Instead, I just shrug my shoulders and let out a small laugh...how pathetic. "You humor me, Adelaide. I love that about you." I have officially lost almost all of my breath, but am trying my best to seem normal.

"I'd better go," I say.

"Until next time," he replies with a smirk. He turns and walks away, looking mesmerizing as always, while I stand frozen in my tracks, looking dumbfounded and foolish. Why does this man have such an effect on me?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Updated 1-22-2023