Chapter Three Dwarves

Arriving on the scene, I see a bunch of little men. They are decorated in thick armor and dirty clothes. Confused, I run to Legolas. I can now see the little men are in chains. "Legolas, what is going on?"

"Dwarves; we found them lurking in our woods."

"How many are there?"

"Thirteen." He avoids making eye contact with me.

"Is everything okay?"

"I am fine." He turns and walks away without another word. As the dwarves pass by, one, in particular, catches my eye. His hair is dark and tousled, with a few protruding braids. He looks at me, raising a brow and I now realize I have been staring. I turn away out of embarrassment and feel my face turn warm.

After a short while, I decided to return to Thranduil. I can't deny the fact that I'm excited to hopefully continue our earlier activities, but rounding the corner I see he is busy now. The dwarf I noticed earlier is speaking with Thranduil, so I keep my distance, staying quiet and unnoticed. Thranduil seems to remain so calm throughout the conversation, while still looking so beautiful. The dwarf suddenly begins to shout at Thranduil. Thranduil quickly leans extremely close to the dwarf, and from what I can see, it looks as if half of his face is...melting away. What?

The conversation is ended very quickly and the dwarf is escorted and thrown into a prison cell. As I carefully approach Thranduil, the dwarf spots me. He does not pay much attention though as his gaze shifts, clearly upset about what just happened. I continue towards Thranduil, seated on his throne, with a steady pace. "Thranduil, my Lord, is everything okay?" I say as I finally reach him.

"Everything is fine, just some filthy dwarves." He shifts in his seat, angling his body slightly away from me.

"What is so bad about dwarves?" He quickly jerks his head towards me and stares me dead in the eye.

"They are no good, greedy pests!" His voice is very deep...threatening even. I step back, and a small tinge of fear creeps up my spine as I do. I don't think I have ever seen him like this. "It would be best if you would leave me alone at this time; I need to think." Without speaking, I turn and walk toward the cells. Slightly unnerved I decide to seek some company in that dwarf instead. I see him sitting in the cell seeming defeated. He sees me staring and moves to the back of the cell, completely avoiding me.

"Excuse me, sir" I lightly tap on the bars.

"What do you want, elf?" He spats on the ground, showing me my presence is unwanted here.

"Why are you here? What were you doing in our  woods?" I ask.

"I do not believe that is any of your business," he muttered, "stupid elf."

"I'm sorry, but what have I done to deserve this rudeness?" He looks at me with a distorted face of disgust.

"Oh don't play stupid! You know what your people have done."

"Sure, I know what the elves did, but I wasn't there. I was not at all involved. Thus, I cannot be blamed for any of it." He looks at me, seeming a bit confused.

"I apologize. I suppose I did not put much thought into that." He inches closer to the bars and reaches his hand through them, suggestively looking down at my hand. I take his hand and he pulls it through the bars, placing a soft kiss on my knuckles as my cheeks turn a light pink.

"Adelaide! What are you doing talking to this filthy dwarf?" I turn to see Thranduil and quickly pull my hand from the man.

"Nothing, my lord. I was just...talking. You did not want me near you, so I found somebody who might not mind my company." He looks at me, his eyes are bright, but threatening.

"Fine. Do what you want. Come see me when you come to your senses." He turns and walks back to his throne.

"I apologize for him." He looks at me with a smirk on his face.

"You had better go to him." He looks concerned but sounds a little sarcastic.

"I never got your name," I say. His smirk grows.

"I am Thorin Oakenshield; son of Thráin; son of Thrór." He bows but never loses eye contact with me. I smile and turn to leave. "When can I see you again?" He calls after me.

"I will be back in the morning." He smiles and returns to the back of the cell, pulling his knees to his chest as he slides down the wall. Thranduil is sitting on his throne, staring at me. His brows furrowed, and his lips pressed into a hard line. "My Lord, are you feeling okay?" I ask though I suspect I know the cause by this point.

"Come here," he commands.

"Yes, my Lord." I begin to move in his direction, traipsing, nervously putting one foot in front of the other.

"What did that awful dwarf have to say to you?" Without answering, I reach his throne and stand in front of him. He stares at me, anxiously awaiting an answer.

"Nothing," I say finally. He rises to his full height with his chest slightly puffed. My eyes meet his lips naturally so I tilt my head to meet his eyes. He reaches for my hand, so I place it in his binding our fingers together. "You are so beautiful. What do you see in me?" I ask, raising a brow, curiously. He runs his fingers down the side of my face. He then plants small delicate kisses from my forehead down the bridge of my nose and stops when he reaches the end of it.

"You are beautiful, kind, wise, and you see the good in everybody," he pauses, "How could I resist?" He moves his hand under my chin and slightly tilts my head upward, causing our eyes to meet. He places a soft, passionate kiss on my lips. "Understand?" I nod and lean in closer to him laying my head gently upon his chest. He wraps his arms around me, and it feels as if he is transferring all of his body heat to me. I finally leave his arms, saying goodbye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Updated 2-1-2023