Artsy Astrid

CW // mild misgendering

Astrids pov

It was finally Saturday meaning it was the day of the student art gallery. I was both excited and nervous. Excited because I got to see my best friends look at my art. Nervous because None of them know that my art is in the gallery. Though I shouldn't be nervous, I am. My friends tend to think that I like someone when I'm rather quiet yet happy about a subject. in reality, I'm happy other people will see my art.

My art journal was, and always has been, very private for me. I would cry if anyone took it, or if I somehow lost it. It was a prized possession of mine. It's where I could just let out my emotions on a page in my own special way. Like that of a poet. 

I hopped down the staircase, walking into the kitchen. I saw my mom at the counter. I decided to greet her. 

"Morning mom!" I grinned. 

"Shh!" She sounded putting a finger over her mouth. Figures. 

"Sorry, Jen. Astrid came into the kitchen. She's just so loud recently. All I ever hear is her yelling at a fucking screen and stomping down the stairs," my mom said, not using my pronouns yet again. It wasn't even surprising at this point. 

"I use they/them pronouns. And I have a job that just so happens to be fun. Not to mention how YOU walk into the house at three in the morning causing a ruckus at LEAST twice a week. But please, continue misgendering me. I don't give two shits anymore." I stated, standing my ground. 

She gave me a look I couldn't quite make out. It was half shock and half anger. My mom was never violent, just scary. She yelled a lot, never hit me or anything. She was a single mother, so I understood that she was stressed a lot, but it didn't mean she had to be a bitch about everything.

"I'll call you back..." She spoke into the phone. She hung up and stared for a few moments. After an unsettling silence sets, I decided to speak up. 

"Look. I understand you're an adult and can do whatever you please but you expect me to be this perfect daughter when I'm not even a girl. I've put up with the misgendering but it's so annoying hearing it constantly. You do a lot for me, so could you maybe do this one thing for me?" I asked, nervous about the outcome of this conversation. 

"Very well then. You're a they, but nota she. I will try to be better about it, but I can't make any promises." She spoke. 

I was happy, but I couldn't show it. I nodded, headed towards the front door, proud of my small victory. I stepped out into the chill of autumn surrounding me.  

When I got to school I walked over to my small booth having a couple of my art pieces out on display. Today was going to be great, I felt it.

Messages
The bootleg muffinteers 😜

(Ass)trid🌙
Btw I'm already at school
so just meet me there lol

A child 💕
Alright, we're on our way
Waiting for Lilith as usual

Julli🦋
Yeah, that bitch is taking
forever. Just grab a
hoodie so we can go.

Lilith ✨
I'm still in the chat bitch. 😐

Not messages

I let out a small laugh and went on with my day. Now and then some people would stop at my artwork. I got some beautiful pieces and stuff along the way.

After about ten minutes I saw Julli walk in followed by Achilles and Lilith. My heart began racing.

"Hey, As-" Julli began, "wait... Is this your work?" She continued, confused. I nodded in excitement.

"This is awesome Astrid! I'm so proud you showed your work off." Lilith stated, pulling me into a hug.

"This is great Astrid. Really." Achilles laughed, running his fingers through his hair. 

"Thanks, guys. I love y'all." I grinned. 

Time skip ahaha

When I got home my mom was on the couch, she seemed happy. She waved me over with a grin on her face. 

"Mom? What's up?" I asked, extremely confused.

"Well, you know how I've been seeing someone for the past couple of years? Well, he proposed last night, and I was hoping you could meet him. He has a son that you may or may not know." She grinned, I loved seeing her happy, it made me happy. 

"Of course I'll meet him! but how do you know I know his son?" I questioned.

"You'll see. Now, go get dressed. We're going to dinner with them!" She explained. waving me towards the stairs. 

I went upstairs to change into a semi-nice outfit. I was both confused and glad. Confused mainly because of who his son could be, and glad because my mom seems really happy in this relationship. 

I changed into a pair of black jeans, a button-up shirt, and black ankle boots with a small heel. When I finished getting ready I walked downstairs meeting my mother on the way down. 

"You look great kiddo," she smiled. 

"You can still call me sweetie or honey mom," I laughed lightly. She nodded in response

We walked outside towards her car. hopped in, and headed towards the restaurant. Once we arrived my mom and me headed towards the entrance. After she said who the reservation was under we were lead to a booth near the back. When we got there, however, I was greeted by two very familiar faces. 

The "son" in question looked up from his phone wide-eyed. I did the same realizing who my mother was engaged to. We stared for a moment until our parents caught our attention.

"Kids. Are you two alright? You look like you've seen ghosts." My soon-to-be stepdad laughed. 

"Oh, sorry, heh, just a little shocked..." I managed to speak. I sat down next to the "son" I knew all too well.

"Astrid... umm... hi?" He spoke. 

"Are our parents..." I began. 

"It seems so... What will the others think..?" He answered. 

"You two are acting as you've never met. Achilles, stop being shy." His father interrupted our conversation. I laughed.

"It's just super weird... Our parents are getting married. He and I will be siblings," I stated. 

"Yeah, what they said. super weird." Achilles spoke.

We all just kind of sat in each other's presence. Having fun conversations, and everything. Our parents seemed really happy with each other, and I was happy for them. I could tell Achilles did too.

After dinner we went our separate ways, and headed home. Achilles and I were still a little shell shocked on how they hid their multiple year long relationship from us two.

When we arrived home it was around 10:30 so I decided to shower and head to bed. After my shower I changed into a random pair of joggers and a hoodie and plopped myself into bed. Not long after I dozed off to sleep.

(A/n) Hey loves! This is more of a filler chapter, but has some details about Astrid and Achilles that come into play later in the story. Sorry it's not much, but hopefully you enjoyed it. Bye loves!!

~froggie