Fifteen Minutes

You'd think trying to find a Mob Boss would be easy

You'd think trying to find a Mob Boss would be easy. That's how all the movies make it out to seem. But that isn't the case. It's been a week since the text, which lead to nothing, and there's been no trace of your biological father since Spencer got away.

Sleep wasn't something you were well acquainted with anymore as you were always looking over your shoulder in the hope that no one was watching you.

"Baby," Spencer cooed as he turned on the lamp that was on his side of the bed, "you need to at least try and get some sleep."

This was now the nightly argument between you two. Well, argument is the correct word. It was more like Spencer would express his concern for the fact that its 2 am and you had yet to even try to sleep, and you would shut him down with claims that you tried but it wasn't happening.

"I can't, Spence." That's the answer you always give. But the truth is, you were just afraid too. Sleeping means putting your guard down, and putting your guard down puts the both of you at risk.

"Fluff, you need to sleep. You're going to die if you don't. Come here." Spencer outstretched his arms, silently asking for you to cozy up into him. You shook your head. "Fluff." Spencer grabbed your arm and pulled your exhausted body into his. He wrapped his arms around you protectively, squeezing you into his chest. "How about this, I'll stay awake and keep watch," he reached under the bed, pulling out his revolver and putting it on the bedside table, "and if anything happens, I'll wake you up."

He squeezed you a little tighter. It was like he was trying to mush all the broken back together. You nuzzled your face into his chest, breathing in his scent. "Have I ever told you how much I love you?" You asked as you peered up to look at him.

He smiled, "every fucking day." He giggled and leaned down, planting a soft kiss on your nose. "Now, will you promise me you'll at least get a little bit of sleep?"

You nodded. Your body had finally given in to the exhaustion that's plagued you for the past week. You pulled Spencer into you as you heard him crack open a book and start reading softly to you. Your mid barely focusing as you drifted off to sleep...

"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way. Everything was in confusion in the Oblonskys' house."

...

Spencer's POV

I read to her for an hour. I know my voice calms her; she tells me often. My poor girl was exhausted and needed the rest before she ended up sick, or dead. So, I read to her. I read slowly, hoping her subconscious would collect the information I was providing to the sweet angel on my chest.

It didn't take long for her breathing to deepen and even out. I barely got through the second sentence before she became heavy, her unconscious body melding into mine. She was perfect, beautiful, when she was asleep. I rested my book in one hand while the other played with her soft hair.