Chapter Two[EDITED]

TW: Mentions of depression.

Your apartment was dark as you stepped inside. Something soft brushed past your legs, and you could hear purring. Ismene, your cat, was dancing around your legs, awaiting her head scratches. You ignored her for now, and moved towards the kitchen where you needed to grab some ice for your hand. The apartment wasn't glamourous. It was a studio, with a tiny kitchenette, and an even smaller bathroom. Your living room consisted of a full sized bed, and two chairs on either side. A box tv and a game console rested on a small entertainment center. There was two sliding glass doors that lead to a rickety, creaky balcony that could collapse at any second. The only time you ever stepped foot on it was to smoke a quick cigarette. 

"Home sweet home, Izzy." You finally reached down and pet the white fur of your cat. She let out a long purr, then happily pranced away to rest on the foot of your bed. The ice on your knuckles helped soothe the pain. The dark, quiet home was depressing. You stared at the room and let out a low sigh. "What to do now..." You muttered, moving across the room to turn on the television. You didn't have cable, so you settled from some random local program. You didn't bother turning the light on, knowing you were just going to go to bed without showering again. 

A familiar heavy feeling was threatening to make itself known, but you suppressed it the best you could. No use in crying over things that couldn't be changed. You set down the makeshift pack of ice, and pulled your pants off. You kept the t-shirt on, and just crawled under the covers on your bed. Ismene followed suit, and curled up next to your legs. The sounds of the reckless city could be heard over the low volume of your tv. Flashes of light broke through your tattered blinds. It was a wonder how you fell asleep every night. 

Either from pure exhaustion, or the creeping depression; you couldn't be sure.

You spent your entire day off laying in bed and watching tv. Only when you absolutely had to eat did you manage to tie your hair up and put on some pants. A green and grey hoodie hung over one of the chairs, and you picked it up and sniffed it. It didn't smell too bad, so you pulled it over your head. Making an attempt at not appearing to be a complete wreck, you sprayed some fruity perfume over your clothes. You gave a shrug to yourself before picking up your bag and heading towards the door where your shoes were. You tugged them on, too lazy to unlace them. 

"Hey, neighbor!" 

You bit back a groan, and turned to face your cheery neighbor. He had a grin plastered across his tan face, his cheeks growing in size as the two of you made eye contact. 

"Hello." You didn't show the same enthusiasm he did to be awake. His name left your mind then, but he happily remembered yours. 

"Y/n, are you busy today? We could grab lunch!" Everything he said was loud, and it immediately gave you a headache. "I know this awesome place down town, where they serve..." You tuned him out, proceeding down the hall towards the stairs. He followed in step beside you definitely not respecting your personal space. The entire time, you kept a neutral expression on your face. You didn't care, and couldn't find the will to pretend to care about what he was saying. 

"I'm busy today." It wasn't necessarily a lie. You did have plans to sit in bed and watch old DVD's all day. That wasn't the most productive thing you could do, but you also didn't want to hang out with some guy who's name you couldn't even remember. 

"Okay, well maybe some other time!" He gave you a smile. "Want a ride somewhere? I'm heading into town."

"Nah, I'm good." 

He gave an awkward laugh, finally picking up on your dismissive attitude. "Alright, well bye..." He got into his shitty, old car, and drove off. You noticed him watching you in his rearview mirror as you walked in the opposite direction.