Chapter 14

Dedicated to my Patrons: Jazmyne, Coolcat, Lexie, Anita, Amya, Niesha, Brad, Leila, and Aiyanna! Thanks so much guys!!

Nicholas frowned at the man standing in close proximity to Lafayette.

He was tall, skin tanned, long lashes framing blue eyes. A head of dark brown hair. And he was smiling down at his Lafayette. He grit his teeth as the two of them laughed at something that was said.

"You know, it couldn't be any more obvious."

Nicholas jumped, turning to face Leo. Leo gave him a look, as if he could read his mind.

Nicholas huffed, running a hand through his hair. "I don't know what you mean."

"Personally, Nicky, I don't think you're right for my cousin. But Faye is smart, she knows what she wants. That's something admirable. Even if it is you."

They stared at each other for a moment before Nicholas shook his head. "You of all people, should know better than to encourage this."

Leo shrugged, his eyes trailing toward Lafayette and her newest suitor. "Well, Nick, it's either you or this handsome new chap who seems rather smitten already. Besides, Faye is not a child, she can make her own decisions. She is free to love whom she desires..."

Nicholas stood quiet, his eyes on Lafayette, watching as her brown skin  gleamed in contrast to the dim lighting of the early morning.

She really was beautiful. Every moment of his days were spent fixating on her. Remembering the softness of her, the melodic quality of her voice... dear, God. He was convinced he had never wanted anyone so fervently.

He walked toward the flirting pair and cleared his throat. "I'm afraid we must be going. We're losing daylight."

---

Faye smiled absentmindedly at the man before her. Alfred Pennington, Duke of Lance, had been telling her jokes that were the least bit amusing for the past two hours. He was handsome, any one could see that, but engaging? Most certainly not.

She glanced at Nicholas, letting her eyes roam his body from head to toe. He was enamored with the book he was currently reading. Leo had decided to abandon her with the two men, claiming he wouldn't be able to get a lick of sleep if he rode in the carriage with the three of them.

She had protested but silently was hoping that Nicholas would see how infatuated Alfred was with her and finally put in some initiative. But he hadn't said a word since the journey had begun.

He flipped the page of his book, his eyes glued to it as if it were the most interesting thing he had ever read.

Lafayette fought back the tears of frustration. She turned to Alfred, giving him her best smile.

"You say you have stables? Oh, I love horses. They're so free... so," she cleared her throat, "courageous."

Alfred chuckled, reaching for her hand to kiss it. His lips lingered and Nicholas suddenly dropped his book.

Alfred, as if realizing they were not alone, flushed bright pink. He reached down and grabbed Nicholas's book, handing it to him jovially.

There was heightened color to Nicholas's face, his jaw was slightly clenched, his brows furrowed. He forced a tight smile, "Thank you, Alfred, was it?"

Alfred nodded, smoothing a hand down his hair. "Yes, Alfred Pennington, Duke of-," Nicholas cut him off, "Lance, yes I heard."

The sudden tension in the confines of the carriage was almost tangible.

Nicholas promptly closed his book, crossing one leg over the other. "Your grandfather mentioned that you were on holiday to hunt?"

Alfred nodded, "Yes, a bit of good sport before the winter hits us."

Nicholas glanced at her, his eyes gleaming before turning back to Alfred, "I enjoy the hunt myself. Fox,  peasant etc... Are you any good? At our next stop, we could make a game of it."

"I consider myself quite the champion. We must hunt together, my grandfather will be delighted. Shall we wager?"

Nicholas raised a brow, "Wager? I suppose we could. Anything in particular?"

Suddenly they were both looking at her. She shivered. Alfred's eyes were full of admiration. Nicholas's eyes were full of something more intense, something so potent she swore she could feel it in her loins.

"We'll be stopping at an Inn that is known for having good game around this time of year. Let's say we wager for a dance from the lovely Faye," Nicholas said, his words stiff.

Alfred seemed oblivious to the mounting tension. But Lafayette felt it, she could see it.

She cleared her throat, catching their attentions once more. "Alfred, do tell me more about your home. Maybe a visit could be arranged?"

And just like that his attention was on her once more, we talking in an animated fashion about all that was his and his family's.

While he talked, Lafayette stared into Nicholas's eyes, shocked to find them full of something she had never thought she would see... jealousy.

She smiled to herself, maybe her plan was working.