Chapter 20

The rest of the journey was filled with a kind of quiet tension. They would stop at night to rest in any Inn along the way, and begin travelling once more the next morning at the break of dawn.

Two days of travelling was coming to an end. Lafayette felt an anxiety she had never felt before. She had always convinced herself that her wedding day would be joyous. And that Nicholas would make her love to her often and kiss her with passion whenever the need arose. 

She was getting quite the opposite of her dreams. She almost chuckled at how cruelly the tables had turned. She looked down at her hands, finding them trembling in her lap. She looked up at Nicholas and sighed. He was asleep, his arms crossed over his wide chest. His sandy brown hair was slightly longer now, tendrils hung low over his forehead.

His face was adorned with a prominent five o'clock shadow. His lashes were fluttering ever so slightly. God, her heart ached.

She glanced at Leo, noticing his eyes staring out of the window. There was a sad look on his face. A look she had never seen on his face before. 

"Leo," She mumbled.

He looked at her, a slight frown on his face. 

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean for things to get so... out of control. I thought... I thought I could figure this out myself. My own way."

He shook his head, sighing softly. "I'm not angry with you, Fay. I'm just... I'm just disappointed at your bloody method. My God, you didn't stop for a moment to think about the consequences of any of your actions."

She choked on a sob. "I know. I know... I was rather confident in the whole scheme, you know."

Leo shook his head, leaning back against his seat. "Do you really love him?"

She smiled softly, sadness in her eyes. "I really do."

"Our whole family is cursed in love. I won't be convinced otherwise, dear cousin. Regardless of what happens... I want you to know that I want you to be happy, Fay. Even if it is with Nicholas Anderton of all people."

She chuckled at that. "Thank you, Leo. I think I'm done with all of my planning. I've made things absolutely awful. This whole situation has proven that I should just take things as they come now."

He made an exasperated sound in his throat, "Nonsense. You've gotten this far. Besides, it's not in our blood to give up at the finish line."

Her eyes widened at his words. He smiled at her before leaning back and turning his attention back to the window. 

----------------------------------

The coach came to a stop. Luggage was being pulled from the carriage. There was a pre-winter chill in the air. 

The Anderton country estate was grand. Wide open space and hills of vibrant green. Tall buildings and cream colored walls and ceilings awaited them as they made their way inside.

Nicholas was on edge. Anticipation was vibrating down his spine. He lead them into the main hall, his hand at the small of Lafayette's back. 

"Nicky! Darling! I thought you would never get here!" His aunt Pearl proclaimed as she hastily mad her way toward them. Aunt Pearl was a kind woman; pleasantly plump in her old age and full of giggles. She was still stuck in fashions of the 1700s, wearing puffy layers of  petticoat's, and thick brimmed skirts. 

The smile on her face brightened as she noticed his arm around Lafayette. "My, my, what a pretty lass." Her eyes trailed to Leo, "And what a handsome lad, my goodness."

Lafayette smiled at her suddenly feeling the weight of what was about to happen. "Hello, I'm Lafayette Hugh and this is my cousin, Leo. It's a pleasure to meet you." She started to curtsy but aunt Pearl quickly stopped her.

"Oh, poo, darling, no reason to be so unfamiliar."

Nicholas cleared his throat, catching the both of their attentions. "Lafayette is my fiancée. We'll be getting married immediately. Would you be my witness?"

Aunt Pearl's eyes widened. She gasped, "Fiancée? How could you hide such a thing from your aunt! Let alone a wedding in such short notice?"

"We're rather infatuated with each other. Waiting another moment would be torture." Nicholas assured her.

She looked the both of them over, skepticism in her eyes mixed with a sparkling excitement. "I see... Well, let us not waste another moment! I'll have one of my coachmen fetch the clergyman from town. It's been so long since I've attended a wedding! This will be lovely! I'll have a footman go into town and announce a surprise ball in celebration! Oh, oh! And I'll have a feast made!"

Nicholas stepped forward, quickly trying to divert her attentions, "Aunt Pearl that isn't necessary. There is no need for a party, truly."

She pointed a finger at him, her eyes squinted. "Oh, nonsense! You would deprive an old woman of her fun? Why I could die tomorrow and you would deny me this small thing to congratulate you?"

He stuttered in response, unable to come up with a good enough reason to deter her.

"It's not everyday my only nephew marries! We will dance and we will feast!" She exclaimed.

Before he could say anything else she was hurrying down the hall, her puffy skirts in her hands as she trudged along, screaming for her servants, "Mr. Beahm! Mr. Beahm! Go and get the clergyman at once! There will be a marriage! And it will be glorious!"

*Sorry for how short this chapter is! The next chapter will be much longer. How do you like aunt Pearl? And do you really think Nicholas will be able to not touch Lafayette ever again?*