1: Arrival

California - Bad Habits

(I'll be adding a song at the very beginning of every chapter)

--

The cab dropped me off in front of the Birch's house under the bright afternoon sun.

I stared at the house that I had not been in for such a long time. The last time I was here, I was crying on the sidewalk with Leah Birch because I was moving to California, and that was ages ago. I must have been 8 by then.

I carried my luggage, a duffel bag, a guitar case, and my backpack to the porch. I dropped the guitar case to the floor. With one hand on the luggage handle, I used my other hand to ring the bell to the Birch's dwelling. Nobody answered. I rang the second time. Still no answer. Had my mom (or any parental guardian) forgotten to tell Mrs. Birch I arrived today?

Before I could grab my phone, the door swung open. However, nobody came into view. Could this be the thing that will lead to my inevitable death?

I entered the house anyway, struggling to carry my bags.

"Hello! Hello! Mrs. Birch? Mr. Birch? Leah?" I cried out.

The house was brightly lit but there was no sign of anybody. As I turned around to close the door, I bumped into a figure. I fell to the ground landing on my butt. My heart pounded from the fact that there was someone and I fell. I looked up to see who it was.

A tall, lean boy with black hair with blue tips and a shaved undercut stood there. I stayed on the ground, frightened to stand up and come face to face with whoever he was. I thought he was someone who had broken into the Birch's house and had grinded all their bodies into meat. But as soon as I noticed his emerald eyes, I immediately stood up and recognized him.

"Judd? Is that you?"

He didn't reply; he just looked at me dead in the eye with a scowl on his face.

"Oh my god! It is you!"

I jumped towards him and wrapped my arms around his waist because he towered me by inches. My hug was interrupted by him grabbing me by my shoulders and moving me out of his way. Fuck. He was strong. He made his way towards the stairs and disappeared to the second floor.

Suddenly, Connie appeared right beside me and purred.

"He's a fine piece of meat. Sugar, you gotta find a way to make him want to push you against the wall and fu-"

"Connie, no! He's Leah's brother! I'm not fucking Leah's brother!"

"Say what you want, baby. But I know you want him...BAD. You want him to push you up on the kitchen counter and thrust into you mercilessly! You want him to choke the living air out of you and-"

"Connie, NO! At least not right now!"

"Not right now?! Sugar! Do you realize that you're practically alone in this bigass house with him?!"

"No, Connie. He's my friend's brother. Plus he was like the brother I never had. It'd be weird. Not to be rude or anything, but please leave. I don't want you to talk about Judd and my desires."

"Whatever you say, sugar. But I know exactly what you want."

She smirked at me before disappearing.

I felt my underwear pooling. Fuck! Connie's right! What the fuck? Not Judd. Anyone but Judd.

Since I didn't know where to go, I sat on the couch in the living room and placed my bags right in front of me. I fumbled through my bag for my phone to tell my mom that I'd arrived safely. I wasn't too concerned about where the rest of the family was. They were probably out and forgot that I was arriving.

I found myself finding reasons to talk to Judd. So from the very bottom step I called out for him. "Judd! Judd! Do you know where your family is? Hello?"

"Fuck! It's useless talking to him," I muttered. I turned around to return to my spot on the couch and bumped into a figure once more. Luckily, I didn't fall the second time.

"They're out," his deep voice began. I could feel myself pooling even more. If I didn't know what was going on, I would've thought I pissed my pants. I wanted to reply but was distracted by his voice.

Connie appeared again. "Imagine that voice right in your ear, baby. You want him. You want him so bad." I didn't want to let Connie's words distract me.

"Do they- do they know I'm coming today?"

"Mmm." That was all that came out of him. And a lot came out of me...if you know what I mean. The more he talked the more I could feel myself losing control. Fuck! This is not what I came for.

My thoughts were interrupted with the front door opening to reveal the other four members of the Birch family. They were all carrying heavy bags and helped each other out unloading boxes from the car. They hardly noticed me but I waited until they were done. At least that was my plan.

Judd grabbed my arm and dragged me upstairs while the others were busy. "What the fuck, Judd?"

He shushed me.

"My things are still down there."

"My raccoons will carry them to my room."

"Raccoons?!"

He shushed me one more time. I had so many questions, but I was mostly giddy because Judd's room?! I wasn't expecting anything to happen, but it just made me excited. And him pulling on my arm isn't exactly calming down what's happening down there.

"Ooh! We're getting action, baby!" Connie shrieked. I shook my head at Connie.

Judd opened the door to his room and dragged me inside. It was dark. His hands were still gripping on mine by the wrist. He turned the lights on and the illuminated room revealed a whole army of raccoons and my things in one corner of the room. His room was filled with posters and stolen street signs. Geez, this boy is a fucking weirdo. But fuck it. He's hot.

"Now can you please explain to me what's going on?"

"I dragged you up here because my gayass family wanted to surprise you. They'd be disappointed if they found out you arrived earlier, not that I care. So once they're done, my raccoons will report to me and then we'll send you out the window to go back to the front door and pretend like you'd just arrived."

"Aww, that's so sweet, Judd." I smiled sincerely and put a hand on my chest at his "heartwarming" move.

"It's not sweet. I just don't want them getting all fucking whiny."

"Whatever. It's still sweet. But seriously, how the fuck are these raccoons obeying you?"

"I'm training them."

I raised an eyebrow and wanted to question him even further, but fuck it.

--

The family took ages to finish my surprise that was no longer a surprise to me. I spent my time in Judd's room on the floor playing UNO with his raccoons. They were shockingly better than I was.

"Judd, you sure you don't want to join?" I offered. "Fuck off," he replied monotonously from the vents.

"Jeez. Fucking dick," I muttered. But apparently it was loud enough for Judd to hear. He immediately stepped out of the vents and squatted down right next to where I was. His eyes met mine and never left. But it wasn't the kind of glare you'd enjoy. It was intimidating. "The fuck did you call me?"

I didn't want to give in. I wanted to show him that I could be intimidating too and to sit his fucking attitude down. He was pissing me off. I'm not sure if I was genuinely pissed or sexually frustrated.

"Fucking dick," I repeated with my eyes still on his and emphasized the "d".

He smirked before standing up and crawling into the vents once more.

Holy shit.