5: Ouch

Cruel Summer - Taylor Swift

--

I woke up with a minor headache. I couldn't tell if it was the alcohol or the fact that I had been sleeping for 12 hours. The last thing I remembered about last night was smoking with Judd. I had a dream that I kissed him...or maybe it wasn't a dream. I couldn't be sure, so I decided to treat Judd like nothing happened, just to be sure.

The sun was shining through the white curtains of my bedroom. There was a gap in the curtains that let the sunlight illuminate the room. I rubbed my eyes and tried my best to summon enough energy to get myself out of bed. I sat up and realized that there were painkillers on the bedside table along with a glass of water. Judd.

I heard a knock on the door. My heart was racing, expecting for it to be Judd. "Come in," I said in a raspy voice. The door opened revealing Diane and Elliot. I was disappointed.

"Hey Y/N, sweetheart," Diane greeted.

"Hi Diane. Hi Elliot. Did I do something wrong?"

"No, darling. We just came here to check up on you. You weren't downstairs for breakfast and none of the kids knew what happened to you."

"Oh, don't worry about it. I was just extremely tired." I lied.

"If you ever need anything, Y/N, you can always tell us. We're more than happy to help you out. This is your home now and we are technically your foster parents," Elliot chimed in. "We're so glad to have you here. I bet Judd, Leah, and Nick are happy too," he continued.

The mention of Judd made me queasy.

"Thank you so much, Diane, Elliot. I really appreciate you guys being hospitable even though I'm your friend's kid."

"Nonsense! As long as you live under this roof, we consider you one of ours," Elliot said.

The Birch family. More like Mr. and Mrs. Birch. They were the best. They never made me feel bad about staying in the house. Sure my mom was still paying for my living expenses, but they made me feel like they were actually also my parents.

I shot a sheepish grin at both of them. "Aww. Thank you," I said as I put both hands on my chest at their words. We huddled into a group hug.

After they left, I took the painkillers and gulped it down with the glass of water.

--

I went to the kitchen to get a glass of juice. As I opened one of the cupboards where the glasses were stored, Judd appeared.

"Hey, Judd!" I greeted him, acting like I didn't know what happened last night. I still didn't know whether the kiss was a dream or reality, so if we did kiss, I had to pretend like it didn't happen. Even if we did kiss, I would assume that it was because we were drunk.

"Fuck off," he said as he shut cupboard. What? I opened the cupboard once again to get a glass.

"I said fuck off, guitar turd."

"I came to get a glass! And what the fuck's gotten into you?"

"Fuck off," he repeated.

"Okay, but before I leave, did we do anything else last night?"

"No. I told you that I would never do anything that you don't consent to, now fuck off!"

He slammed the cupboard door shut. I was still curious about whether we had kissed or not. So I lightly knocked on the cupboard door. "Judd," it came out softer than I had expected. I was frightened. What have I done? Did I do something wrong? Maybe we did kiss.

Without opening, he sharply replied, "What?"

"Did we- did we...?" I was trying to find the right approach to ask him. I didn't want to sound silly.

"Did we-?"

"Make it quick, guitar turd!" he demanded.

"Did we kiss?"

I heard him let out a sigh. "Yes. We were drunk, but not super drunk I guess. You kissed me and I kissed you back." There was silence, and this time it wasn't comfortable. It was killing me. Maybe it was killing him too, until he continued. "Don't take it the wrong way, but I'm not into you like that."

My heart stung at his words. It hurt. Despite being drunk the night before, I really thought we had a genuine connection. "Don't take it the wrong way, but I'm not into you like that." Of course. It always ends like that. Why did I even think that we could be something?

Thank god he was in the cupboard. I didn't want to look stupid with my eyes that were tearing up. He'd think that I was dumb for catching feelings that quick.

Stupid bitch. I'm a stupid bitch.

"Of course not. I don't like you that way either," I managed to muster up words. But it came out shaky. I hoped he didn't notice.

"Now fuck off," Judd said once again.

"By the way, thank you for the painkillers and water."

"That wasn't me. It was Nick." Oh.

I slowly backed away from the cupboard and once I had reached the stairs, I ran up to my room.

Judd's POV

She ran back upstairs without filling her glass with anything. She wasn't okay.