mel & schaeff ; a day of activities.*

// og post date: june 13th, 2020. sfw. 3,528 words. //

~

"you didn't tell me we were doing things today."

melissa tapped her thumbs on the wheel as she drove out of town, enjoying the sights of nature emerging into view. in the seat besides her was schaeffer, who wished to be informed of any trips ahead of time than the day she arrives. it was an early morning in the lovely month of july, and peach season just began, a pleasant surprise to melissa when she read about it last week online. she's always wanted to pick fruit but never had the time; now that her closest friend happened to be visiting, she took the opportunity from the air and applied it here.
"well, i knew you'd try to convince me my plans were weak, so i decided not to expose what we would be doing. but you might like our first stop of the day! we're going to go to the farm just a few miles away and take home some peaches and raspberries," said melissa, as she kept her focus on the road and smiled like a child. the colonel didn't like peaches, she thought the texture was odd, but she did enjoy some fresh raspberries when offered. she sat up straight and nodded; "yes, i might like it."
"good! since it's sunday, i doubt there will be many visitors there to get in our way." she chirped in response to her short sentence, knowing she wasn't much of a conversation type.

the silent ride to the farm that stood not too far from town went by fast, and by simple observations, schaeffer can tell it was going to be bothersome. she didn't say anything about it when she heard melissa's soft "oh" when she caught on to the many cars in the area reserved entirely on parking. they quickly found space and parked, both in sync when hopping out of the vehicle - it was small, yes, but melissa says it does its job with getting her to and from work and the store, so there were no complaints further than that. they walked together to where the owners were, the intern doing the talking and going through what they were allowed to do as she felt it was her duty to be the host. once given baskets specific for which fruits they'd want to pick, the owners pointed out there were signs they could read to understand the layout of the field, earning thanks from her as they walked off.

upon facing the infamous sign, the directions were chipped off greatly and partially covered with dirt and grim. "this is a well-managed place," mumbled schaeffer, as she nudged melissa at the side in a joking manner. half the time melissa had no idea if she was playing around or not, but she smiled anyway.
"i guess we're going to have to figure it out ourselves!" she exclaimed, twirling a piece of her hair on her finger out of a nervous habit. she didn't appreciate that the sign she was about to depend on was not useful, but she rather get lost than go back and yell at the nice farmers about their illegible signs. so with that, they followed other guests down a trail they were hoping was one of the two fruits they planned on picking. fortunately, the guests unknowingly lead them to where the raspberries were, causing the colonel to pick-up pace to a spot that wasn't too crowded. melissa followed, smiling at her eagerness. or, at least she thought it was.

"do you see any good ones?" asked melissa, as she brushed some of her hair out of her face while inspecting the many berries on the short bushes. there wasn't a real response, just a grunt from her as she was on her knees pushing some leaves out of the way to see if the best ones were covered. after a moment, she began taking the fruit off the small branches, plopping them in her basket. the intern joined, humming as she went for the ones that looked decent enough to eat and didn't have any little bugs sleeping on them. as the picking began, she started to appreciate the gentle sun against her face, compared to the painful afternoon sun that made her dangerously tired; schaeffer, however, doesn't think much of it and most likely has been through worse heat than a simple summer day. suddenly, she stood back up on her feet in a swift motion and looked down at her.
"i'm done."
"oh, really? there's not a lot in your basket-"
"i'm fine with this." she said then helped melissa up, who quickly snatched her own basket and lightly giggled at her friend. "let's go find the peaches now, then. i wonder if anyone has an idea on where they are?"