char & bill; change in appearance.

// og post date: june 8th, 2020. sfw. 2,024 words. //

~

"alice is at her mom's this week, don't worry about being a bother."

charlotte watched him shed his heavy coat and shake it slightly, some of the rain water flinging off it. it was stormy all afternoon, drenching the two while they walked to and from their cars. all she had was an umbrella, which was closed and set outside the front door to dry off. she took off her shoes as bill did and left them near the door, and waited to get permission from him to sit on the couch as he turned on the dim lamps in the living room.

she was visiting for the evening due to being scared of returning home after an argument the previous night, still overwhelmed from the event. exactly what was the argument about? she couldn't entirely recall; she had been cooking dinner when sam came home from work, and they greeted each other for a brief second, as usual. she asked about his day and listened to him go on about some strangers that were doing petty crimes, mainly focused on getting the food ready for him. he didn't do the same, though she talked about what happened at the office, and mentioning her friends seemed to tick him off. sure, her group consisted of men, yet she thought it was wrong to be upset over - she told him this, and sam blew up. that incident was the first time he called her a few insults, which definitely hurt her feelings, and he left without eating.
he came back later in the night, reeking of alcohol.

"it doesn't make sense, bill," said charlotte, as she rubbed her temples with her fingers. "am i not allowed to have guy friends? it's very hypocritical, since i see him hanging around random women whenever i happen to walk near his post when heading to starbucks."
"hypocritical, and also unfair. i mean, i'm not even attracted to females, so why would i come onto you? then there's paul, who hasn't been in a relationship before and certainly would never try to get with a married person, such as yourself. i can't say much about ted, he's..." bill clicked his tongue, "interesting. you know better than to get with him, even if he isn't the best at keeping to himself."

she thought about it. none of her friends pose a threat to their relationship at all, despite ted and his nature of getting what he wants. what could sam be so upset over? is he just finding any reason to be mad at her, after having something taken away from them a year prior? or was he projecting his own actions onto her, thinking she's the one to try and do a sinful mistake? it was beginning to stress her out. she didn't want to have her marriage fail, especially after they have been partners for a while now already. she loved him, at least she thought she did, she can't lose her best friend and spouse. thinking back on it, to those women she's caught with him, they were always... more appealing, to put it nicely. friendly, too, lightly touching his arm or fixing his hair whenever it went in his face. their smiles glowing with happiness and flirty eyes checking him out. their curved bodies pressing against his for either a hug in greeting or parting. maybe he was getting tired of the same old thing - the same wife that kept her hair long and free, the same wife that wore boring outfits, the same wife that likes staying home with her cats rather going out on dates.

charlotte ran a hand through her brown curls, beginning to play and tug at them. "he had the nerve to call me a whore and some other nasty things, all i did was talk about my day. him getting upset with me having buddies is becoming more of an issue! and- and this is off topic from yesterday, but he just picks apart everything about me. my way of speaking he jokes about as if i can control my voice and how it sounds on a daily. my mannerisms that aren't even annoying yet it gets on his nerves, and he is very vocal on it. he gets pissed if i say no to questions or if i don't want what he offers me. he wasn't so cruel to me before... you know," she never liked talking about what happened, considering it was still a recent turn around in her life. bill only listened, a comforting hand on her shoulder as she spoke, and he took glances towards her fiddling with her hair.
"i don't know what to do. i try to talk to him with all the patience in the world, and yet we still get into heated arguments. i'm not innocent to starting some but i don't call him names or raise my voice, i don't make fun of how he looks, i don't straight up ignore him while he talks or not attempt to make a conversation. i want to go back to how things were, bill, the future is looking scary and i don't think i can handle it."