chug; you won't remember.

// og post date: april 28th, 2020. sfw. 2,031 words. //

~

three in the morning. in about two hours, doug would have been waking up to start their new week of work. put on their uniform, eat a small breakfast, maybe walk their german shepherd before heading off for the day. instead, however, they were sitting on a couch at their friend's house, in their pajamas, ignoring the soft steps of two cats wandering around the living room as their mother, charlotte, sat with doug; taking a final sip of her wine in her glass that was left before setting it down near an empty bottle. how'd this happen? well, long story short, doug woke up to the loud ringing of their phone, and as soon as they heard a sniffling and slurring charlotte, they rushed out of their house to see what had happened.

of course, nothing did happen, it was exactly the lack of ANYTHING happening - as in sam hadn't came home from a surprise call-in earlier that afternoon. at around two in the morning, charlotte tried her best to explain through heavy tears she was worried for him and - even though this is a regular for him - is upset with herself she doesn't know any other way to get into contact with him. he hasn't responded to her calls, texts, and emails; she felt annoying, yes, but she just wanted to make sure he wasn't hurt.

doug is used to this by now. way back when the beginning of the relationship was in the midst of falling apart from constant arguments, they were one of the few people she'd call or physically come to and need a few hours to get herself back into shape. they didn't mind it, no, they wanted to be by her side and support her the best they can; though it was hard when they aren't sure how to give proper reassurance or advice. for example, tonight, she is upset about sam not coming home, and there have been times in the past sam was caught cheating. now what is doug supposed to say? how are they supposed to help? they really can't, other than sit there while she cries on their shoulder, maybe attempt to get her to stop drinking herself to death. it was a mess.

they watched charlotte lean up against the couch cushions, staring up at the low-hanging ceiling in an attempt to keep in the excessive tears. she looked hopeless. they admit, it always hurts to see her like this, then the next day act as if nothing had went down and she was peachy-keen. "you know, doug," she started. "you know... i'm aware i really shouldn't love sam, but i can't help it. he makes me angry, i make him angry, we move on. he cheats on me with a few-" many. "-women, i occasionally sleep with ted, half the time not even going to him for sex at first. then we... don't acknowledge it, and keep on living. i want that to change, doug, i do. i believe i'm putting all my efforts into this relationship, though it's like- it's like he isn't. or i'm just not trying hard enough, or i'm just selfish!" charlotte exhaled a long sigh after speaking, misery in her expression. "love sucks and i never felt so exhausted," she said finally.

oh boy, that was a lot. in instances like these, the cop tries to be neutral, or at least give them both the benefit of the doubt; however, it's hard to do such a thing when they constantly work with the same man that causes charlotte to get into these spiraling nights in the first place. they have to sit through him mentioning the girls he's with, them getting younger and younger by the minute, and the repetition of him bashing charlotte as if she's the worst thing to ever happen to him. doug can hardly remember the times sam felt proud of having a wonderful partner like her.

"he's a tough one, you know that. he thinks he needs to always be right, even if he's wrong, and him not contributing to this is his right, then maybe don't fight it too much anymore. he... he did love you once those decades ago, charlotte, but that feeling doesn't always last for some people. you love him, but why do you love him?" they were tired, too, and them questioning the drunk woman showed it well. "it's because we're married, we need to be some sort of love there! i have to prove i love him." she looked at them.