chapter seventeen

Jessica jogs down the stairs to find Jamie eating breakfast at the counter. She goes over to him and leans on the opposite side of the counter.

"Who's the best 7 year old in the world?" Jessica asks.

"Me!" Jamie grins.

"Yes, you are." Jessica agrees. She squishes his cheeks making him reel back from her causing her to laugh. "Excited for your birthday party?"

"Yeah! What'd you get me?" Jamie asks.

"Guess you'll just have to wait and find out." Jessica says, ruffling his hair.

+++

"Can I come out yet?" Jamie asks from inside the house as Haley and Jessica finish getting the backyard set up for the party.

"Uh... okay!" Haley calls and Jamie walks out. "Ta-da!"

"Whoa. It's gonna be the best birthday ever!" Jamie grins.

"See? All this, and not one scary clown. Hey, you want to see your cake?" Haley asks and they go over to it, only to find a piece missing.

"Wait, this is not..." Haley trails off.

""Happy birthday, Jam?"" Jamie reads.

"This cake is so good." They turn and find Haley's sister, Quinn.

"Aunt Quinn!" Jamie cheers, rushing to her and they hug.

"Kid, I can't remember! Dude, you're like, what, 32 now?" Quinn asks as they pull away.

"7." Jamie corrects.

"7, right. Of course. I was talking to your mom." Quinn says.

"Ha ha. What are you doing here?" Haley asks.

"I had an assignment in New York, and I thought, "I don't know, I haven't seen my dorkiest sister in forever."" Quinn says.

"What? Taylor wasn't home?" Haley asks.

"You're so funny. Get your sexy butt over here." Quinn says and the two sisters hug.

"Aunt Quinn, you ate my cake before I made a wish." Jamie says.

"Nah. See, I don't think this is your real cake. If you look really, really close, if it was, I wouldn't be able to do this." Quinn says before smashing Jamie's face in the cake.

"You're so dead." Jamie says. He grabs a handful of cake. "You're about to have a faceful of cake." Jamie throws cake at Quinn before throwing some at Haley and Jessica.

The four continue to have a cake fight.

+++

Tamera, Brendan, Jared, and Alanna came to Jamie's birthday party and Jessica and Tamera are by the snacks while the other three are elsewhere.