chapter two

Jessica, Nathan, Haley, Jamie, and Carrie are in the kitchen eating breakfast. Nathan has been getting better the past couple of days. He shaved and he's been doing physical therapy more.

"Daddy, can we play ball again? Now?" Jamie asks his dad.

"No, not right now, sweetie. Maybe later." Haley tells her son, Nathan agreeing.

"I want to play every day. He shoots." Jamie throws an orange into his cereal, it splashing. "He scores. Straight to the hole, playas."

"Okay. I guess we got to stop leaving him with Skills." Haley laughs lightly.

"Come on, champ. There's a bath with your name on it." Carrie says, picking Jamie up and they go upstairs. Jessica watches them, still not trusting the woman.

Jessica turns back to her siblings to see them giving her a look. She rolls her eyes, knowing it's a look for when they want to talk about serious stuff not in front of her. She huffs, grabbing her breakfast, and leaving the room.

+++

"So how's Nathan doing?" Alanna asks as the five friends sit at the diner.

"He's getting better. Him and Haley are back to silently telling me to leave the room when they wanna talk." Jessica states.

"What do they talk about?" Jared asks, squirting ketchup onto his fries, not noticing Brendan and Tamera's grimaces.

"I don't know. But I think they were talking about Quentin Fields today." Jessica says, looking at Tamera.

"What? Why you looking at me?" Tamera asks.

"No reason." Jessica says.

"Just cause I'm his cousin doesn't mean I'm responsible for him." Tamera states.

"I didn't say you were." Jessica says. "I just looked at you cause you're related to him. It's natural instinct. I would've done the same if we were talking about Malia." She says, referring to Alanna's older sister.

"Okay, enough of the basketball, high school drop out talk." Jared says. Tamera smacks him upside the head. "Ow!"

"Only I can be a bitch about him." Tamera states.

"Okay. Sorry." Jared mumbles, rubbing where she hit him.

"Hey, I know of a party tonight." Brendan speaks up.

"Where?" Tamera asks.

"My cousin's. Parents are out of town. Says bring whoever." Brendan informs.

"I'm in." Tamera agrees.

"Yeah, me too." Jared seconds through a mouthful of his burger. Jessica and Alanna also agree.

+++