CHAPTER 18

Two weeks had passed since Grayson and Iris' wedding and the whole villa seemed to be in a happy and quite light mood, which was honestly bizarre to me since Marcello usually seemed to fall back into his cold and demanding demeanour.
Grayson and Iris were on their honeymoon and wouldn't be back for at least another week. I sighed as I thought about their crazy story, happy that they were able to find each other.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Plopped down Matthias on the couch next to me. He looked tired and worn out and I sat up and frowned at him.
"You okay?" I asked him and he shook it off.
"As much as I didn't want you finding out about this, but Marcello put me back on the job." He said dismally and I looked at him in surprise.
"Really? So soon?" I asked and he nodded. Even though I had technically lost my part of the bet, I had predicted that Marcello would have put Matthias back on the job a month after he came back from, but I was wrong. Since I was wrong, I thought Marcello would have made Matthias wait a bit longer before putting him back to work.

"So who wins?" I asked in confusion.
"Technically I win since I was so close." I grinned and he laughed and shook his head.
"Na-uh. You lost your part of the bet already, I haven't, so I win." He shot back.
We both bickered back and forth until Marcello and Eleonora walked in together, both of them looking at us like we were crazy.

"And what are you two arguing about that's making you behave like little children?" Retorted Marcello and we both paused and turned to him.

"Mama!"
"Eleonora!"

We both started bickering again, trying to see who would get Eleonora's attention first.
"I guess I'm just invisible here." Muttered Marcello to himself and Eleonora chuckled before pressing a kiss to his cheek.

"Now then, what's going on?" She asked as she turned to us. We both opened our mouths to speak, but she held her hand and nodded towards me.
"Caterina first." She stated and I shot Matthias a smirk, while his mouth hung open in disbelief.

I explained to her about the bet and she listened carefully, an amused glint in her eyes. Marcello situated himself on a nearby couch, listening as well.

"Both 23 and 24 year olds and you're bickering over a bet?" Questioned Marcello incredulously.
"Hold it there Marcello, you're partly the reason behind all this." I told him and Matthias chuckled, while Eleonora covered her mouth and snickered.
"It's always my fault." Grumbled Marcello. It really was quite peculiar to hear a mafia leader say that about himself.

"You both lost the bet. Can we all just establish that?" Eleonora said, staring at us both before carrying on.
"Split the money between you two. Caterina pay half and Matthias pay half. As for the other half of the bet, decide who goes first. For the whole of next week, one of you tell the other what to do and then the week after, switch and it'll then be the other person's turn next. Take it in turns with the cooking as well, someone cooks for the other for the whole week and so on. Or you could both do it in under two weeks." Eleonora advised and I mulled over what she said.

After feeling satisfied I nodded my head and turned to Matthias. I stuck my hand out and he begrudgingly held his out as well.

"Deal." We both said in unison as we shook hands.

Eleonora and Marcello chuckled at our childish antics and left the room.

"Have you heard anything from Zara?" Marcello asked out of the blue and I turned to him instantly.
"No, why?"
"Ethan told me this morning that he's worried about her. She's been closed off since last week and looks exhausted. Not speaking much either."
"I've been out a lot recently so I haven't exactly noticed anything going on around here. Do you think it's just the baby stress?" I questioned and he seemed deep in thought.

"It's what I thought too, but Ethan said that she only seemed happy whenever she was around the baby. She's not really speaking to Ethan either, only giving him one-word answers."

"I'll speak to her, but Matthias. I think it's best if you two had a talk." I suggested.
"She feels guilty about what happened. I don't think she can forgive herself so easily, and I think you being here just seemed like a shock to her."

He slightly grimaced but nodded.
"I have nothing against her. She had to do what she had to in order for a secure life with her baby and I respect her for that. I'll get around to speaking to her soon." He reassured and I leaned my head on his shoulders.

"You're so... nice." I finished and he chuckled, taking my fingers in his own and playing with them.
"Yeah? What makes you say that?" He asked and I shrugged.
"You're not like the others. You've always been kind towards me." I said and he winced.
"Not always." He sighed.
"We all have our days." I tried to reason with him.

Matthias sat up and cupped my face in his hands.
"I've been a dick to you multiple times Caterina and I want to apologise."
"You've already apologised for those things Matthias, you don't need to say them again." I looked into his eyes and he looked torn and guilty.
"I know, but I want to apologise again. I'm so sorry for everything that I've said, you're beautiful and sweet, you deserve someone better." He said and I frowned, shuffling away from his hands that were still clasped to my face.

"If you're going to apologise Matthias then you can apologise, but please don't tell me that I deserve someone better than you, when I choose you and I'll always choose you."

He seemed to be thinking about what I said and nodded. He cupped my face and brought his lips to mine, giving me a sweet and passionate kiss. I smiled into the kiss and wrapped my arms around him tightly, welcoming the warmth and tingles it brought with it.

We heard the front door open and we both jumped apart.
"Goddammit, you can never get some privacy around here." Muttered Matthias and I giggled, going to see who had arrived.

"Iris? Grayson? What are you doing back?"

A/N:Another filler chapter I suppose, kind of

A/N:
Another filler chapter I suppose, kind of...
Thought I should give everyone a heads up, but the storm is coming soon 😎
Hope you guys enjoyed and stay safe!
Vote! Comment! Share!
Until then