Chapter 7: Unbound

"Don't just stand there! Kill that thing!" General Tullius shouted above the carnage

The Dragon then launched off the tower as giant fireballs fell from the sky smashing into the buildings and knocking roofs in. It circled the village breathing fire all over it.

"Come on countryman, the gods have given us another chance," Ralof said just before running off to the other tower. Beric could feel the heat of the dragon fire above him as he ran after him. Once inside, Ralof took the cloth off the mouth of Ulfric.

"Dragons! I can't believe it! I thought they were just legends" Ralof exclaimed.

"Legends don't burn down cities. We are now in the end times," Ulfric said in a deep voice, "We need to get out of here, now!"

"Right," Ralof said as he went to the door and started to open it, but the door was jammed shut, "Something must be barring it on the other side, let's see if there's another way out," he said running up the stairs. Beric followed him closely, but as soon as they got to the second level, the dragon's head smashed through the stony wall and filled the room with fire so hot that it would melt metal. Fortunately, Beric and Ralof were able to duck back down the stairs before the flames claimed them. After a moment, the fire stopped, and the dragon moved on.

"Come on, he's gone," Ralof said going back up to the second level, Beric close behind, "See the inn?" Ralof said pointing to what was left of a now burning inn seven or so feet below them.

"Yes," Beric answered.

"Jump down there," he said motioning down.

"What? Are you crazy?!"

"Don't worry. Just keep your body loose and don't lock your knees. Go!" he said pushing Beric out of the tower and into a hole in the straw roof of the inn. Beric couldn't help but stiffen up and brace unlike Ralof had told him, which resulted in him smashing through the unstable wood planks of the second floor and crashing into a table on the ground floor. Beric groaned at the pain. He hadn't fully recovered from the fall earlier that day. After he picked himself up, he looked back at the tower and saw Ralof retreating from the hole in the tower as more fire poured into it. He limped out of the burning building and then was ran into by a large man making them both fall to the ground. Beric quickly looked over and saw Drake.

"Drake!" he cried with relief.

"Come on!" Drake said above the loudness of fiery explosions and stone structures cracking from their places. Beric followed Drake as he ran through the town dodging falling beams and arches.

"Where are we going?" Beric huffed as he tried to keep pace with Drake and ignore the pain from the fall.

"The keep. It's the only safe place. One of the Soldiers told me to head there. I was on my way when I ran into you," Drake said running even faster. It wasn't long before they dashed through the gate arch of the keep where most of the Imperial Soldiers were firing arrows into the sky at the dragon.

"It's not dying!" shouted one of the archers, "I've hit it a dozen times!"

"Talos save us!" cried another. Beric and Drake made their way up to the entrance of the main hall where the soldier that promised an honorable burial to Beric stood ushering people in.

"Come on, inside!" he shouted to Bericand Drake as they ran to the doors, "Come on!" he shouted louder. Beric heardthe roar of the dragon coming up behind him as the ground shook. A glancebehind him showed the dragon had landed and was breathing fire into the ranksof soldiers.