Chapter 22: Troleck

"Troleck?" Beric asked in amazement.

"Hm, so he does have a memory," Troleck grunted as Beric sheathed his sword.

"I'm sorry to intrude in your cave, but..."

"You were being chased," Troleck interrupted calmly as he approached the fire.

"Yes, how'd you know?" Beric asked confused.

"I have my ways," Troleck said grabbing some herbs from the shelf and a bowl before he tore them up and dropped them into the bowl and scooping some water from the stream. He then grabbed a rag and dabbed it into the bowl.

"Were you out there?"

"Can't you just give it a rest?" Troleck said irritably, "I know, just leave it at that," he said glaring at him.

"Alright," Beric said putting his hands up defensively, "I'm sorry. Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers,"

"This is why I live alone away from everyone. No one can ever just let you mind your own business," he said as he walked over and dabbed the rag on Lydia's head where she was hit. She started to stir a bit.

"What are you doing?" Beric asked concerned.

"I'm easing her pain. It looks like she took quite the blow," Troleck said examining the wound.

"She did. How did you know she-,"

"Good gracious, boy, are you capable of not asking questions?!" he erupted causing Beric to be taken back. Troleck sighed, "Sorry, its just that I don't feel as though I need to explain myself to someone who obviously is in need of my help,"

"Troleck?" Lydia mumbled out as she started to stir a bit more.

"Easy, child," Troleck said sympathetically, "You took a nasty blow. You need to rest for now," he said carefully dabbing her head again.

"You two know each other?" Beric cocked his head.

"Sort of," Troleck mumbled, "Judging from her armor, she's no longer part of the Whiterun Guard. Good for her. She deserves more. You're lucky to be under her command,"

"I'm not exactly under her command," Beric corrected.

"Working with her, then," Troleck rolled his eyes, "She's a good person. She gives people the benefit of the doubt, but she's far from naïve. She's a rare jewel,"

"How did you two meet?" Beric asked sitting down and deciding not to correct him further.

"She warned me of some people that intending to make an attempt on my life," Troleck grumbled, "She allowed me to leave my dwelling place at the time without having to kill anyone. I haven't forgotten that," he said as Beric started to remember what Lydia had told him. This man was an elf. A high elf, no less. Beric was suspicious of him. He was sure that Troleck had to be the one who stopped Beric's captor from killing him. If he was the one, then he worked with Beric's captor in the past. That meant he really did fight for the Aldemeri dominion.

"Yes, I think she did mention something about some people coming after you,"

"Yes, I've had to kill a few. ,"

"I've heard that you've done worse," Beric said sitting down remembering what the elf had said to the man he called Nelathe. Troleck must have been a fake name.

"From whom? Whiterun's town drunk?" Troleck asked starting to get more irritable.

"No," Beric answered starting to reconsider going down that road, "Just a rumor I heard,"

"Rumors are always spun out of proportion. Don't believe everything you hear, especially by word of mouth," Troleck smirked in disapproval.

"Sounds like good advice," Beric nodded as he glanced over at his unconscious housecarl.