Shapter 4: Into the Mountain

They eventually tore themselves away from the last sight of familiarity and continued in silence into the dark cave. The only sound to be heard was the whistling of the wind reaching into the tunnel and the echoing of the footsteps made by Beric and Drake. The cave took many twists and turns and seemed to have a prejudice against gluttons with its path turning into narrow crevices that Beric and Drake barely fit through sideways. The air turned heavy, and the light of the setting sun was now gone. Now it was pitch black dark and, both Beric and Drake were now feeling their way through the darkness.

"This was a mistake," Drake mumbled sending a quiet echo through the cave, "We came into this place without a torch. Now we'll never get out of here. What if we come across a cross ways? What will we do then?"

"I don't know," Beric said trying not to think about dying in the darkness, "We'll just have to do our best and hope for the best,"

"I don't like that strategy," Drake mumbled again.

"Yeah, well, when you get a better idea, let me know. Otherwise, let's just keep moving," Beric said not really caring anymore. He just wanted to get out. His shoulders grazed the walls. He was doing everything he could to not panic. He hated caves. He had nightmares as a child about dying in caves. Deep breaths only reminded him of the lack of air. Stretching out only reminded him that he couldn't. He started to ring his hands to relieve the stress. Just when Beric was wondering how long it would take to get through, there was a patch of lighter darkness that was in front of them. Beric breathed a sigh of relief and realized he could breathe without as much effort.

"We're nearing the other side," he said starting to go faster.

"Beric, wait," Drake whispered after him, "Hold on," Beric ignored him and continued to run towards the light. As he rounded the corner, he dropped to his knees. Glowing mushrooms. He had forgotten. Glowing mushrooms grew in caves. Beric let out a cry that echoed throughout the cave tunnels and continued to travel long after he had stopped to take a breath. He sat there in silence for a moment. Then he heard something. Click-cli-click-click.

"Hello," he said looking up into the darkness of the cave that turned a corner.

"Beric," Drake said behind him, "get up now,"

"What is it?"

"I don't know, but you don't want to be facing it on your knees! Get up!" he said dragging him to his feet.

"Should we head back?" Beric said pulling his sword.

"Sure. And try to face whatever abomination it is in the darkness? I don't think so. It's too late to turn around, and it's too early to move forward," Drake said hauling his giant battle-axe off his back, "We have to stand our ground and send whatever beast that stands in our way to the abyss of Oblivion!" he shouted aggressively. Beric could see the giant form of Drake beside him. Unlike Beric, Drake was ready. Drake had been in countless fights. Beric had only been through a few disagreements. Nothing like this. The clicking got louder and more numerous.

"You don't think there's more than one of them, do you?" Beric said shaking nervously.

"As if it matters," Drake replied shortly, "Whatever approaches, it picked the wrong thing to prey on. It's time to take all your sorrow, anger, and fury and put it in your sword-arm," Drake rebuked, "You think too much. It'll get you killed," the clicking was just around the corner, and then a grotesque thin leg emerged from the corner and rested on the wall followed by another. The head of a giant spider peeked around the corner and all eight eyes stared at them, but there was still clicking approaching.

"Frostbites," Drake shouted charging the eight-legged monster. It approached them with a demonic scream while flaring its fangs but was stopped short by Drakes axe sinking into its head and knocking it off the walls and onto the floor. As Drake pulled the axe out, another emerged and knocked him off his feet. Beric slowly raised his sword and thrust it into the spider's side. The spider then screeched and wriggled and folded up at the pain. It fell to the side as Beric let go of his sword in disgust. As soon as he did, he felt a strong force move him up and off his feet. He let his arms out and grabbed the wall but couldn't prevent his head from hitting the wall on the way down. Another rock that was fortunately smooth knocked him half conscious. He only saw black. He barely heard Drake's battle-cry, the clanging of metal, and the thumps of Drake hitting his targets. It all sounded as if it was all far away. He felt as if he was dreaming. Slowly, he began to fade.

"So, this is dying," he thought before he slipped away. He welcomed what he thought was death...