And maybe that was stupid, too. Because it was clear Paris was over her, had moved on. That in itself was a sting, but there was still some ridiculous, prideful part of Rory that didn't want to let her guard down in front of a pretty girl.

            And Paris? She was the prettiest girl Rory had met, even in all the forty-two countries she had traveled to.

            And if Rory was being honest?

           Pretty didn't even begin to cover it.

            "You know, you have stop looking at me like that," said Paris.

            Rory let a cocky grin sweep over her mouth. "Like you're the hottest fucking thing around?"

            That blush . . . Rory loved the rose blush that danced over her warm brown skin.

            "I was going to say like you're ready to devour me."

            "I could do that, too," Rory said. "I still remember the way you taste—"

             Before Rory could say eating Paris out was like dessert, there was a knock on the door. 

            Paris glanced to the other side of the room.

            "Come in," she called out.

            "Doctor Young," said a woman with blonde hair. 

            "What is it, Anna?" 

            "You have an urgent call."

             Rory recognized the flicker of Paris's jaw. Worry, etched into her soft features. An urgent call? 

             After the talk Rory had witnessed between Paris and the businessman, Matt Donovan, there was no way this could be good.

            "Who is it from?"

            Anna's eyes slid to Rory—almost appreciative—and back. "The king."

           The king? 

            It took a heartbeat to sink in.

            Her father was requesting an urgent call with Paris. 

            "Don't go," Rory said, before she could stop herself.

            Paris's eyes flashed. She had never liked being told what to do—neither of them did. But now, there was sheer determination in the set of her mouth as she said, "This isn't something I can just ignore. You're one of my patients—and if this concerns you, then it's my obligation to hear him out."

            "Damn obligations to hell," Rory whispered fiercely.

            "I'll be fine," said Paris. 

            And before she could protest any more, Paris tucked her hands into her pockets and swept out of the room.

            "Can you escort Miss Preston back to her room?" she asked.

            Anna nodded quickly. "Of course, Paris."

            Once she was gone, Anna made her way across the room towards Rory. The white of the brilliant snow was reflected in her glossy eyes, and it made Rory think of that Disney movie about the ice queen and the snowman and the moose. What was it called again?

            "Princess," Anna said, and then she did something that made Rory bark out a laugh. 

            She bowed.