CHAPTER 16

"Selena.", someone whispered and Selena pulled her legs to her stomach, squeezing her eyes shut to go back to her peaceful dream.

"Selena, wake up." Selena sighed and slowly opened her eyes, her cheeks turning bright red when she saw Stiles standing above her. Mostly because she was cuddling with his jacket, like a little kid would cuddle with their favourite cuddly toy.

"I'm sorry. Lydia and Allison went to Allisons to get the bestiary and didn't want to wake you up. I didn't want to wake you up either, but Scotts mum is at the hospital for only two more hours, so...", Stiles babbled nervously and took a step back, making some space for Selena to stand up.

"It's ok, they could have woken me up.", Selena muttered and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes.

"I'll wait downstairs.", Stiles just said with a small smile and left the room. Selena searched for clothes in her backpack and put on black jeans and a beige sweater that Allison had given her. It was too long on Selena so she just put the end of the sweater inside her jeans. She brushed her blonde hair and put it into a ponytail, running to the bathroom really quick to wash her face and brush her teeth. After a few minutes, she went downstairs, meeting Stiles in the hallway. Without another word, she opened the front door and stepped outside, Stiles following her.

"How are you feeling?", Stiles asked while Selena put the seatbelt on.

"I don't know. I just want to know the truth.", Selena answered and shrugged her shoulders, not knowing how to feel after everything that had happened. Stiles nodded his head and focused on the road. He was quiet and Selena felt like something was off.

"Are you ok? You look tired.", she said after she had looked at him properly for the first time this morning. She hadn't noticed his pale face and the blue bags under his eyes before. Stiles turned his head to look at Selena for a second, before looking back at the road.

"I don't sleep that well whenever I find myself in a supernatural disaster.", he said and smiled weakly. Selena knew that feeling. Since she left the hospital, she didn't sleep more than 4 hours a night. Sometimes, she felt like losing her mind but her body kept going anyway. Probably knowing, that she didn't have any other choice. They both were quiet, everyone lost in their own thoughts until Stiles parked the jeep in front of the hospital. Selena followed Stiles inside the hospital and instantly saw Misses McCall at the reception desk. She saw them and pointed them to follow her inside an empty room.

"These are the only things I could find about you in our system. I didn't find anything about your mother, but 18 years ago, everything was recorded in written form. So, I will accidently lose this key card now, which can open the door to the document archive of the gynaecology department.", Misses McCall said and handed Stiles some papers and a key card. Stiles took it and put everything inside his pocket.

"Thank you so much for your help, Misses McCall.", Selena said politely and saw how Misses McCall nodded her head with a warm smile. Stiles and Selena left the room after Misses McCall and made their way to the elevator, going to the 4th floor. They followed the signs and found the document archive shortly after. Stiles looked in every direction a few times before opening the door with the key card. They stepped inside the room carefully and closed the door without any noise. Selena breathed out in relief and found a light switch, making the room go bright. There were 4 large shelves, all filled with dozens of boxes.

"Okay, let's go.", Stiles whispered and started looking inside the boxes. Selena decided to start at the other end of the room, finding a shelve with patient files soon after. She looked for the box with the names starting with W and took it out after finding it. She opened the dusty box and flicked through the files with her finger. Wichester, Williams, Winderwood. Wilson would have been between those files. Selena looked at every name again and sighed when she realized, that she wouldn't find her mothers name in it.

"The file of my mum is not here.", Selena said loudly, making sure that Stiles would hear her. She put everything back inside the box and put it back into the shelf.

"Here are some files sorted by dates. Maybe we can find the file of November 1994.", Stiles answered and Selena made her way over to Stiles, helping him to find the right box.

"Here we go.", she heard Stiles say after a while and watched him putting the box down on the floor. She moved closer to Stiles and bend over him to have a look at the files he opened. He found the file of the month November and flicked through the pages until he found the page showing the date 19th November 1994.

"There was not even one birth on this day. And your mother wasn't here on this day either."

"Look at the days before that.", Selena said and watched Stiles turn the pages. He read the pages carefully, not saying anything for a while.

"At the 18th November a woman got into labour at 00.34 am. It was the only birth at this day.", he read and Selena could see how suddenly, his whole face went pale.

"What? Was it my mum?", Selena asked nervously and had to stop herself from ripping the file out of Stiles hands. Stiles just shook his head no.

"No. The file says it was Talia Hale."

"Great, so some Talia Hale gave birth to a child on 18th November. That's not helping us.", Selena said and crossed her arms over her chest. Stiles looked up at her with an expression that Selena hadn't seen on him before.

"Talia Hale is Dereks mother. And Derek only had one sister and she was older than him.", he said slowly and looked at Selena like he had just told her, that her favourite dog had died.

"Stiles, what the hell are you trying to say?", Selena finally said and already knew what his answer would be. She didn't want to hear it though, her mind and body both trying to ignore the facts.

"Selena, I think the reason, why you never knew your mother was a werewolf is, that she was not a werewolf. And the reason, why her name doesn't show up in any file is, that she never gave birth to a child." Stiles said calmly and looked at Selena carefully. Selena just stood there, repeating his words inside her head over and over again, before finally realizing it.

"You think that Talia Hale is my mother."