Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

While Pete was exaggerating the truth just as he normally did, Gill had to admit that what he was saying made sense. The two of them had done their fair share of work for the Rangers; they’d certainly upheld their duty to the state.

“But won’t Captain J.T. be suspicious that we didn’t come in and retire in person? He’ll know it’s out of character for me…” 

Pete waved his hand. “Who cares? Maybe he’ll think my bad behavior has rubbed off on you. We’ll let you write the letter and sign it first since he’ll know your writing. He’ll just assume you’ve finally had enough of all those judgmental pricks at the base.” 

Gill absently watched a young boy being scolded by his mother for chasing a chicken and thought about what Pete said.  Could it be that easy? Could they simply tell the captain they wished to retire and that would be the end of things?

“Quit thinking so hard,” Pete scolded. “People leave the Rangers all the time, Gill. It’s the kind of job that takes a lot out of a man. I’m sure everything will go just fine.” 

Gill nodded and decided to trust his best friend. Hell, it seemed that here lately the man knew what he was talking about almost every time he opened his mouth. 

***

It took nearly half an hour for Gill to write a letter that he hoped the Captain would believe. He wasn’t entirely sure what it was he feared so badly--he supposed there was a part of him that didn’t want to let the man down. Captain J.T. Morgan had been the one man in the Rangers to allow Gill into his home and to trust him. He owed J.T. some bit of loyalty and yet he was lying to the man….

That’s what was settling so unpleasantly inside Gill’s gut. 

His guilty conscious had him imagining all kinds of scenarios of the Rangers coming after him and Pete. Finding them, hurting the gang, hanging the runaway Rangers and the fugitives they were running with…..

Pete moved his horse closer to Gill and kicked him, nearly sending Gill tumbling off his mount. “What the hell was that for?” Gill demanded, righting himself. 

“For thinking too damn hard.” Pete winked. “You’ve got friends that care about you, a man who loves you with all his heart,” Pete batted his lashes. “And then of course you have Jeb. Be happy, Gill. Quit over thinking everything.” 

“You sure you don’t want to be the brains of our operation on a permanent basis?” Gill inquired, raising his brow. 

Pete chuckled. “If you’re offering me that position then being in love has turned your brain to more mush than I had thought.” Pete laughed loudly when Gill’s eyes widened. “There’s lover man now--and it looks like he’s famous.” 

Gill followed his best friends gaze and saw Jeb and the rest of the gang, standing outside the livery--and they had indeed drawn a small crowd. Jeb noticed them approaching and broke away from the group of townsfolk. He met Gill and waited patiently as Gill slid from the saddle.