Part II| Scared To Lose You

"Now my body and mind are so distant, don't know how to escape from this prison." —Bea Miller.

Chapter Theme Song: 'I Can't Breathe' by Bea Miller.

••

Harmony

"I fucking hate that envious son of a bitch!" Blaze curses as he walks into my dorm room, kicking away the floor mat in anger.

His detest for Kite runs deep, and his aggressive venting toward him is only worsening my guilt.

I rub my arm with a hand as he whirls around to me with fire in his eyes.

"I hate it when he looks at you. It's damn irritating, Harmony. He wants you; I can fucking see that, and it pisses me off so much. One of these days, I'm gonna drill a hole through that cocky bastard."

At each idiom, I can almost feel an invisible knife piercing through my heart. I want to tell him what happened because it is the right thing to do, and he doesn't deserve to be lied to like this.

But I don't know where to begin. No matter how many times I try to rephrase the situation, it still sounds bad. Imagine saying: 'Blaze, I drank alcohol last night, then woke up this morning half-naked in a room with Kite, and he said we had sex and there's blood on the sheets, but I can't remember anything.' That explanation will only push me right off the cascade. So, for now, I can't say anything until I uncover the truth.

He sits on my bed, and I take a deep breath before walking over to him.

"You're the only one I have feelings for, Blaze." I cajole, praying my voice doesn't decide to break. "I hope you know that whatever happens and no matter what anyone says, you mean everything to me, and it is never in my intention to hurt you. I care for you."

He raises his eyes to me while a slanted smile drags his lips. "Why do you sound as if I am about to die tomorrow, or I got enlisted in the army?"

I bite my bottom lip, and he grips my hand and tugs me down to sit beside him. He turns his torso to me while his icy pools search mine. I am not sure what he is looking for in them, but I fear that he'll see what I am hiding from him.

"I want to know something though, Harmony."

I nod my head slowly. "Okay...what is it?"

He taps his index finger on his knee, and the action grabs my attention. I look back up, and he cocks his head to the side. "Why'd you lie to me?"

All the moisture has left my throat, and my heart hammers as I try to maintain a natural reaction to the question.

"Wh-what?" My voice doesn't cooperate.

"You said you were at your mom's last night, but Maddie said she came to your dorm. I am mad that she was here, but I am more confused because what you told me does not seem to match up at all...why'd you lie?"