Bonfire

"I've watched those eyes light up with a smile, river in the not good times. Oh, you taught me all that I know. I've seen your soul grow just like a rose made it through all of those thorns, girl into the woman I know. And it's killing me to say I'm fine, when I really mean to say that you're my all and more and all I know you taught me." —Lauv.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Breathe' by Lauv.

A/N: The song above is one of my favorite songs :)

°°
~Previously on Rescue My Drowning Heart.
Harmony wakes up with swollen eyelids after crying all night about what happened with Blaze. She is pulled to the cafeteria by Kite where Blaze flirts with a girl. Harmony gets jealous and emotional and storms out of the cafeteria crying.

Find Out More Below!

••

Harmony

Regret.

Embarrassment.

Disappointment.

Those aren't even half of the emotions I am currently experiencing. When they told me to stay away from him, this was what they were protecting me from. This agonizing sensation in my chest as if someone's tearing my heart out of its position.

I am crying unrestrainedly in one of the bathroom cells when I hear footsteps enter the cramped room followed by the concerned voice of April.

"Harmony?"

I don't wish to talk right now—to anyone at all. When I close my eyes, the only thing I am seeing is Blaze and his new-found subject of adoration.

"Come on, Harmony, talk to me," she pleads.

She trails the sounds of my unmuffled sobs and locates my stall in no time. She knocks gently on the door before her soft tone travels through the tight creases. "I am coming in, okay?"

Without waiting for a response that may never come, she thrusts the cubicle door open. Her expression dulls at the horrendous state I am in, sitting on the tiled floor with my head on my arms and warm tears drenching my skin.

"Harmony, what's wrong?"

Unable to form dialect, I continue to wail into my hands, my small frame shuddering at each cry that escapes me.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?"

I lift my head from its hanging position but press my palms over my eyes immediately, hoping it'll stop the excretions. I am struggling to breathe, and if I continue at this rate my asthma may erupt.

"I-I-it's Blaze..." I manage to mutter through violent body jerks and whimpers.

She squats down to my level, and luckily she understood my gibberish. "What about him? What did he do?"

"He..." I can hardly speak, but April is patient and consoling as she watches me.

"He... I..." I hold my forehead and give up trying to communicate; the grieve won't let me.

Sympathy is engraved on her flawless face, and she rubs my back comfortingly as she exhales. "Do you want us to talk about it at the dorm?"

I nod my head, and she helps me to stand.

••

By the time I am finished telling April everything, I am a crying mess. My face is red and wet while my eyes and nose are flushed and swollen.

She looks quite mortified but not confounded as she pushes her long hair back and takes a deep breath. It's obvious she knew this would happen, and I was the idiot to not listen to her. To not listen to anyone.