Chapter 25: Ali's Lie

The princess and I slowly started to establish a new order to the chaos that Jafar had left behind. Every once in a while, we'd slip notes to each other. They were always work-related, but they weren't always the most constructive of comments. It was nice talking to the princess almost casually and I was becoming accustomed to my new abilities, but then Prince Ali ruined it.

Jasmine came into the study one morning with a contemplative look on her face.

"Rajah," she said, "You're not going to believe this."

I cocked my head to the side.

"You know our secret advisor?"

I nodded. How could I not?

"I found out who it is."

I stared at her, holding my breath.

"Prince Ali."

What!

"I know right? I never realized he was so intelligent."

I gave her a knowing look.

"That's not what I meant. Prince Ali is plenty smart. It's just well this..." She shook her head. "It's almost unbelievable."

Because it was.

"He said he was worried about me working so hard, so he decided to help out."

I snorted.

"No really, all this time, he's been helping us. He was afraid that after our fight I wouldn't want his help."

I couldn't believe she was being this gullible.

"I know you're not Ali's biggest fan, but even you can't argue with the quality of his work," she said defensively.

The quality of my work.

Then she continued in a more thoughtful tone. "You know, I really underestimated him."

That was the end of enough. Not getting credit for my work was one thing but getting it stolen by Prince Ali of all people was something else entirely.

However even as I got angry, I smiled. I smiled with all my teeth. I knew it. I knew he was no good. I knew I wasn't just crazy or jealous. And I finally had him.

That night after I finished my work, I dipped my quill pen in the ink and wrote:

Dear Princess Jasmine,

I cannot tell you who I am, but I can tell you who I am not. Prince Ali

has lied to you. He is not me and if he lied about this, I don't know

what else he might be hiding. The wedding is imminent, but in light of

this new development, you may want to reconsider that decision. A man

you cannot trust, cannot be a good husband.

Yours Truly,

SA

I looked at the letter with grim satisfaction. See what he made of that, the lying weasel.