I looked anxiously at him. "If we don't stop, Barret, sooner or later one or more of us is going to get badly hurt or even killed. And I know you don't want that. There's gotta be another way."

"Ain't no other way," he insisted.

"Find one," I glared at him. "Because I don't want anyone to die for this crusade of yours."

He grimaced. "Train station's up ahead."

I noticed the change in subject but decided not to push it. We were still out in public, and this was a discussion that we'd be better to finish back home and in private. And I hoped that I'd be able to get the others into it as well. I was sure we could come up with something. But first, I intended to go looking for Cloud.

The station was crowded, just as Barret had said it would be, and it was easy enough for us to sneak aboard one of the freight cars. With all that had happened, our ID's had probably been flagged, and we knew it was too much of a risk anyway to try buying a ticket. The fight against Airbuster must've been broadcast all over Midgar.

Once were were safely aboard, I pulled out my phone, intending to try and call Cloud to see if he was alright. But there was no signal. The explosion at Reactor 5 must've caused a major disruption in service up here and probably down in the slums as well.

We'd had some problems with the phones after Reactor 1 had gone up, too, but Shinra's repair crews had gotten everything fixed up within a few days. And unless Cloud found his way home soon, it would be at least that long before I could contact him. As the train moved out, I sat down against the wall and hoped he was safe.

— — — — — — —

Hey, buddy. You okay? Can you hear me? —

A voice in my mind. A kid's voice. A boy, maybe eight or nine. But who? I didn't know. All I did know was that everything was dark. Was I unconscious? Maybe. The last thing I remembered was falling from the catwalk outside Reactor 5. I had seen Tifa and Barret racing for the exit just before the mist and mako fumes had blocked out everything above me, and I was sure they were alright.

Then there had been the splintering of wood breaking underneath me as I had crashed through it before landing on something oddly soft and yielding. Then, nothing. Unconsciousness, I supposed. Along with that strange voice, calling to me in the dark. I almost knew that voice, I realized. But I couldn't place it. That fog was in the way, swirling in my mind and making it hard to remember. My thoughts drifting, I figured I'd go ahead and answer the voice.

Yeah. I'm fine.

Good. Got by with just some skinned knees back then.—

Back then? What do you mean?

Skinned knees? I couldn't remember ever doing that. What was the voice talking about? I wasn't sure, but I did know pain was everywhere. Every part of me ached, and I was vaguely aware that I was lying on my back. But it felt distant, far away, as if I was floating deep underwater. I wondered if I'd be able to get to the surface.

Doesn't matter right now. You need to focus on yourself. See if you can move around a little. —

Might as well give it a try, I guess.

I tried to concentrate and focus my thoughts on what I intended to do. It'd be best to start off small, I decided, and so with all the strength I could manage, I flexed my fingers. It seemed to take forever, but after a moment or two, I felt myself move a little. Didn't go too fast, though. Might make it hurt worse if I did.