Again he laughed.

*******************************************

When we arrived at the warehouse, Kai and Bates were sparring. Kai wore the pads that Mal had worn the first time and Bates wore big bright blue gloves. Despite the temperature they were both in wifebeaters and their foreheads were sweaty.

"You're hitting like a bitch." Kai tainted as Bates landed a punch to his midsection.

"Swap the pads for gloves and lets see who hits. like a. bitch." He punctuated each word at the end with jabs to Kai's ribs.

Kai simply laughed blocking the last punch and pushing Bates back a step. When they both turned to us, I took that moment to scan the gym looking for Rue. He wasn't in the building.

"Hey, Ellie. You're parents home yet?"

I smiled at Bates, masking my quick shock when he pulled me into a careless hug.

"Eww. You're sweaty." I laughed pushing him back. "Suspicious, since it didn't sound like you were doing any work." I kept my tone light and I still didn't look at Kai. After yesterday, I didn't want to have any other conversations with him. Definitely not until the bruise had heeled from my back.

Bates groaned. "Don't you start with me too, Princess. I could definitely take you in the ring."

Mal whistled before bursting into laughter. "Naughty, naughty Bates. Your innuendos are getting better and better."

We both rolled our eyes.

"Where's Rue?" I asked walking over to the storage box that contained the gloves.

Bates smiled. "Very much hungover. That's thanks to you, princess. I was even pretty drunk last night."

Bates didn't seem like he'd been drunk. But I guess he was one of those people who became quieter the more they drank.

Mal decided to cut in at that moment. "Bates why don't you spar with Ellie real quick while I talk to Kai about something."

I rolled my eyes as he winked when he said spar. Sometimes boys could be immature.

I pulled on the purple gloves I wore last time, feeling more comfortable with them now. Maybe I could even land some good hits on Bates.

Bates looked suspicious as Kai and Mal walked out of the warehouse both of them with serious expressions on their faces.

"They've been doing that a lot." He said casually as he pulled his gloves off and began to strap on the blocking pads.

I stretched my arms out. "What? Having private talks?"

Bates stood straight, punching the pads a couple of times to make sure they were in place. "Yeah, all serious and shit. This is like the third time. It's got me worried."

I shrugged not understanding the big deal. Then again I never had a close sibling that I could share all my secrets with, so I couldn't understand. "Maybe they're planning you a surprise party."

He laughed positioning himself in a defensive stance. "Yah, considering my birthday was in August it sure would be a surprise."

I laughed and assumed that was the end of it. "When I practiced with Mal he didn't really give me much encouragement. He said my form was trash."

Bates smiled sweetly but he still looked as if his mind was elsewhere. "Let's see it."

I straightened my posture putting my blocks up how Mal had showed me.

Bates tilted his head to the side. "Little stiff." He mumbled. "Let's see a combination."

As quick as I could, I punched out two times with my right fist, bringing my left elbow up to block the swing that Bates threw at me.

"Kind of slow." He said louder this time, hitting the bottom of my left elbow with the back of his hand. "Again."

We ran through a few more combinations before Bates stopped me, his expression serious. "Hey, can I ask you something? Before the guys come back in?"

I narrowed my eyes. "What, is it a secret?"

He shrugged. "I just don't want to embarass you."

Suspicious.

"Okay, what's up?" I asked letting my hands fall to my sides. Again I was hot now and I wanted to take my sweater off.

"Yesterday, when I came to your room to get you..."

I sent him a confused look, urging him to go on.

"Shawn was in your room, you looked scared. I was drunk so I didn't really notice but you were, right? Scared?"

There was no reason for me to lie about Shawn, so I didn't. "He was just being an asshole. Don't worry about it."

He stared at me for a while, his eyes more serious than I'd ever seen them. At that moment he didn't look like himself. I normally thought of him as a young boy even though he was only eight months younger than me. Right now he looked years older.

"What'd he do?"