Back to Hogwarts and a Poor Occulmency Lesson

Start from the beginning

Harry stared and his thumb ran over the pendant, he was speechless.

"It's amazing," Harry whispered, his eyes connecting to Estella's. "Thank you, Essy."

"That's not even the best part," she said happily. "If you press on the compass, not only does it show you where I am, but it'll send a buzz-like vibration thingy to the bracelet you gave me last year. I'll know if you need me. I know we have that connection thing where we can project our voices but I figure that takes a lot of effort, whereas this can be done easily and covertly. You can even say a message into it and it'll work!" she said, pressing the compass in and showing Harry her wrist that vibrated in response.

He didn't think he'd ever felt so speechless at her abilities or intelligence or so overwhelmed with his feelings for her.

"It...this is-I love it," he finally said. He took the hand holding the pendant and cradled it, then pressed the button and watched as a slight buzzing noise emitted from the bracelet he'd gotten her the year prior.

"I just showed you," she giggled as he leaned forward and kissed her.

"Nothing wrong with double checking, eh?" he said, smiling. "Thank you, Es, it's truly amazing."

He paused and grabbed her gift. It was a beautifully wrapped box littered with the phrase I love you on the wrapping paper. She slowly opened it to see a jar similar to the one she'd gotten him the year prior, full of little notes on warm-toned constructive paper; a framed photograph of the two of them walking in the corridor holding hands that was definitely taken by Colin Creevy; and next to the jar was a velvet black ring box.

She hesitantly looked up at him as she took it out of the box. "Harry..."

Harry blushed. "Just, umm, read the card first and then open it," Harry said, his eyes never leaving hers.

She grabbed the card that laid under the ring box.

Essy baby,

I laughed as I wrote that. Such a dumb nickname that never fails to make you blush or smile...or laugh out loud, which most certainly spurs me to keep using it. You probably think I got you an engagement ring, however, we are fifteen and I'm most certain your father, and Sirius would murder me. Plus, we already know we're forever, no need to rush the process just yet. I've loved you since I was eleven and that love only grows with each passing day. I adore your laughing at the worst possible times, your relentless teasing, your unwavering loyalty that genuinely makes me wonder if you should be a Hufflepuff, but that I'm reminded of the snark you reserve for those you despise...Snape, let's not forget your above average intelligence and empathy for others. I certainly lucked out in the soulmate department. You'd definitely say this the ultimate cringe but what do you say to promising forever?

Estella's eyes glittered with tears as she looked up at Harry.

His face turned from nervous excitement to immense sadness and reserved disappointment in himself for making her cry. His thumb skimmed the falling tears. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry. You don't have to say yes-"

Estella laughed and wiped her tears, taking his hand into hers. "Of course, I'm going to say yes, Harry. You know I cry happy tears too!" she said, laughing.

Harry beamed at the crying girl and pulled her into a hug. "I love you more than words can say," he whispered.

She giggled again. "I love you too, Harry," said Estella, wrapping her arms around her neck and connecting their lips.

That night's meal should have been a cheerful one with Mr. Weasley back amongst them; Estella could tell Sirius was trying to make it so, yet when her uncle was not forcing himself to laugh loudly at Fred and George's jokes or offering everyone more food, his face fell back into a moody, brooding expression. Instead, she sat with Harry, Ron, and Hermione, Harry who was muttering under his voice about having to take Occlumency lessons with Snape.