The Boggart

On the very last day of holiday, Estella was making her bed when Hermione came into the room carrying a couple of envelopes.

"Booklists have arrived," she said, passing Estella one of the envelopes before sitting on the beanbag chair in the corner of the room. "I've been waiting for this, they were so late this year!"

The first letter contained two pieces of parchment, one the usual reminder that term started on the first of September, the other telling her which books she would need for the coming year.

"Hmm, only two new ones, Mione," said Estella.

"They must've found another Defense Against the Dark Arts professor," mused Hermione as she read her letter.

Estella made a mental list of the books she'd have to pick up before moving to the other letter.

"Hermione-" Estella began as Hermione sprang to her feet.

This definitely couldn't be right. In Estella's hand, a badge with a large P was superimposed on the Gryffindor lion, just like the badge Percy used to wear.

"Dual-"

"Prefects!"

"This has never happened!" said Hermione, smiling.

"I thought for sure Professor McGonagall would've picked you, just you," replied Estella. "I'll withdraw if you want to; I know how much you want to be one and I know doing it together isn't ideal."

Hermione shook her head. "No, this is perfect! We're both prefects! Think about it, we'll be able to split tasks and we'll always have time for our studies which is important given that it's our O.W.L.s year," said Hermione.

"Come on, let's go tell the boys!" said Hermione, grabbing Estella's arm and pulling her toward the room.

Hermione dragged Estella into Ron and Harry's room.

"Did you-did you get-"

Estella spotted the badge in Harry's hand but noted the dejected expression on his face. Clearly, Hermione didn't as she let out a shriek.

"I knew it!" she said excitedly, brandishing her letter. "Me too, Harry, me, and Estella. We're both tied for number one so we're duals this year!"

Harry's eyes glimmered with pride as he glanced at Estella. "That's amazing, Es!" said Harry before turning to Hermione. "No," said Harry quickly, pushing the badge into Ron's hand. "It's Ron, not me."

"It-what?"

"Ron's prefect, not me," Harry said.

"Ron?" said Hermione, her jaw-dropping. "But...are you sure? I mean-"

"What Hermione means to say is, congratulations Ron, that's amazing!" said Estella.

"Unexpected," said George.

"No," said Hermione, blushing harder than ever, "no, it's not...Ron's done loads of...he's really..."

The door opened behind them and Mrs. Weasley backed into the room carrying a pile of freshly laundered robes.

"Ginny said the booklists had come at last," she said, glancing around at all the envelopes as she made her way over to the bed and started sorting the robes into two piles. "If you give them to me I'll take them over to Diagon Alley this afternoon and get your books while you're packing. Ron, I'll have to get you more pajamas, these are at least six inches too short, I can't believe how fast you're growing...what color would you like?"

"Get him red and gold to match his badge," said George, smirking.

"Match his what??" said Mrs. Weasley absently, rolling up a pair of maroon socks and placing them on Ron's pile.