Greeting Feast and New Professors

The five didn't talk much the remainder of the journey, only occasional whispers between Estella and Harry were exchanged. At long last, the train stopped at Hogsmeade station, and there was a great scramble to get outside; owls hooted, cats meowed, and Neville's pet toad croaked loudly from under his hat. It was freezing on the tiny platform; rain driving down in icy sheets.

Estella crossed her arms and shivered, silently wishing she'd brought a thicker jumper. Harry glanced at her and instantly pulled out a Gryffindor Quidditch Team jumper with his name on the back.

Estella glanced at him, "You're never getting this back." It was oversized, and it smelt of him; in no way was he ever getting it back.

Harry smiled, "It looks better on you anyway, Es." He

"Fris' years this way!" called a familiar voice. Harry, Ron, Estella, and Hermione turned and saw the gigantic outline of Hagrid at the other end of the platform, beckoning the terrified-looking new students forward for their traditional journey across the lake.

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Estella followed the rest of the school along the platform and out onto a rough mud track, where at least a hundred stagecoaches awaited the remaining students, each pulled by a Therestal, which Estella could see. The gift of a seer meant also seeing death. The only one who knew she could see them was Harry, but he never knew why she could see them. Estella didn't have it in her to tell him she's seen people die.

As Harry waited for Estella to step off the carriage, a delighted voice sounded in her ear.

"You fainted, Potter? Is Longbottom telling the truth? You actually fainted?" If Neville were around, Estella knew she would've yelled at him for telling Draco.

He elbowed past Hermione and Estella to block Harry's way up the stone steps to the castle, his face gleeful and his pale eyes glistening maliciously. Here we go again.

"Honestly, Draco, do you ever shut up?" Estella asked as she yanked on his robes, pulling him back. Instantly his two followers were by his side.

Draco glanced at her, "Leave her." He motioned for the goons to move away.

"Shove off, Malfoy," said Ron, whose jaw was clearly clenched. He despised Malfoy with every fiber of his being.

"Did you faint as well, Weasley?" said Draco loudly. "Did the scary old dementor frighten you too, Weasley?"

"Is there a problem?" said a mild voice; Professor Lupin had gotten out of the next carriage.

With a tiny hint of sarcasm in his voice, he said, "Oh, no-er-Professor," then he smirked at Crabbe and Goyle and led them up the steps into the castle.

The four soon arrived at the Great Hall. Estella immediately looked at the head table and waved at her grandpa, who was already smiling at her. They'd already missed the sorting.

"I hope they made that pudding I like," Estella mumbled as they took a seat. Harry burst out laughing while Ron snorted.

Hermione glanced at her, "I've never seen someone who loves chocolate pudding as much as you."

Estella smiled, "I know, I'm just one of a kind."

Dumbledore's voice rang throughout the Great Hall, "Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts! I have a few things to say to you all, and as one of them is very serious, I think it is best to get it out of the way before you biome befuddled by our excellent feast...with the double chocolate pudding." He winked at Estella who fist-bumped into the air, grabbing others' attention.

Her face flushed, "Sorry, carry on."

Dumbledore smiled and cleared his throat, "As you will all be aware after their search of the Hogwarts Express, our school is presently playing host to some of the dementors of Azkaban, who are here on Ministry of Magic business." Estella could tell her grandpa wasn't too happy about their presence.

"They are stationed at every entrance to the grounds," Dumbledore continued, "and while they are with us, I must make it plain that nobody is to leave school without permission. Dementors are not to be fooled by tricks or disguises-or even Invisibility Cloaks," he added blandly, causing Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Estella to glance at each other. "It is not in the nature of a dementor to understand pleading or excuses. I, therefore, warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. I look to perfects, and our new Head Boy and Girl, to make sure no student runs afoul of the dementors," he said.

"On a happier note," he continued, "I am pleased to welcome two new teachers to our ranks this year."

"First, Professor Lupin, who has a kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

There was some scattered, rather unenthusiastic applause. Estella stood and loudly started clapping. Every person deserves to be celebrated.

"Look at Snape!" Ron hissed. Unhidden and very evident upon Snape's face was a look of anger. It was loathing. It was a look Estella only saw him use on Harry.

"As to our second new appointment," Dumbledore continued as the lukewarm applause for Professor Lupin died down. "Well, I am sorry to tell you that Professor Kettlebrun, our Care of Magical Creatures teacher, retired at the end of last year in order to enjoy more time with his remaining limbs. However, I am delighted to say that his place will be filled by none other than Rubeus Hagrid, who has agreed to take on this teaching job in addition to his gamekeeping duties."

Harry, Ron, Estella, and Hermione stared at one another, stunned. Then they joined in on the applause, which was tumultuous at the Gryffindor table in particular.

"Well, I think that's everything of importance," said Dumbledore. "Let the feast begin!"

At long last, when the last morsels of pumpkin tart had melted from the golden platters, Dumbledore gave the word that it was time for them all to go to bed.

Drop a vote and comment if you enjoyed the chapter!