05 - Uncertainties to come

Começar do início

"Who is it?"

"Your boss," she answers, taking in sushi in her mouth chews slowly.

Jeongyeon's eyes widens, leaning over to start picking out which sushi she'd like and Haeun scoffs.

She turns to her, raising a brow and she chuckles, "Everything tastes great I swear, I picked the best ones."

Jeongyeon grins, nodding as she grabs one California maki and shoving it in her mouth as the flavor makes her taste buds explode. She clutches on her chest as Haeun watches in amusement at her senior's love for food.

Almost forgetting about the topic, Jeongyeon pauses on chewing as she glances at Haeun who's eating unusually slow. She'd been at company dinners with her and she knows the girl was never like that.

She nudges her, giving her a smile before she returns it but then it falters immediately.

"Hey, you okay?" Jeongyeon asks, worriedly looking at her, "What did he do this time?"

Haeun huffs, putting down her chopsticks and shifting her body to face her. She rests a hand on her knee and mumbles through her breath.

"You need to be careful around him, Mrs. Park. He's sick, some sort of predator they say, and I agree now because," she halts, overlooking the closed door making sure no one's listening before she goes on.

"Because I witnessed it myself," she continues, earning a shocked expression on Jeongyeon's face. She lets go of her chopsticks and looks away, suddenly feeling something in her chest when she remembers her boss' face whenever they would talk.

She knows about those rumors, and even Jimin had mentioned the day he brought her food here and she wasn't around. He felt something was off about her boss, Mr. Hong. The man she had to be around almost all of her time at work. So far, he hasn't done anything bad to her.

Yes, he makes her uncomfortable and sometimes he'd intentionally give her some task even on weekends but if talking about first-hand experience with the man, she doesn't have it.

But still, she's not an exception. Jimin told her he could do anything at any given time if he wants to, and if the rumors are true then he could do it to anybody.

Haeun grabs her wrist and tells her everything, and Jeongyeon prepares herself as she stares at her willingly.

"Remember that girl who fled the day she started working here? That was a year ago, and she left without a word. HR blacklisted her for that, and I wondered what happened, so I asked around then. I got desperate to know because around that time I was already hearing stories—and then there's this janitor who passed away right? He was the one who jokingly mentioned Mr. Hong's name when I asked about the girl. I digged further and heard from him later on that he assaulted her, and guess where? In the restroom! She was excited on her first day so she went overtime and that was when the janitor was cleaning up and heard muffled cries from a bathroom stall. It was horrifying and I couldn't believe it."

Haeun stops, breathing heavily as Jeongyeon tries to process everything. She looks at her getting shaky and her hand that rests on hers are becoming sweaty.

Her phone starts to ring, and the two jumped in their seats. Jeongyeon parts her lips before getting up, she pulls away from her grip and she nods in her direction.

She skips to the table and looks over her shoulder before sliding the green button. Haeun blows off some air and casts a glance at the unfinished food, she goes back to eating, refusing to waste it while Jeongyeon taps her fingers on the table waiting for the other end of the line.