Chapter 23

Disclaimer: Anything you recognise, I do not own. Also the picture definitely happened at some point.

Lyria took a deep breath and released her magic. She connected it like a dot to dot to the Stone Warriors, avoiding the fae. She could sense the magic's mind, passing from soldier to soldier. She saturated it with her magic, bushing aside its defences, and wrapping around the glowing centre of it. Every stone warrior seemed to freeze.

Show yourself to me. Come to me. Trust me. I am what you want. She sang.

The warriors changed their direction and charged towards her. Leaving confused fae warriors mid fight. Lyria watched as they hurled themselves at the foot of the hill she stood on, piling on top of each other. The blood curdling screech of stone scraping of stone filled the air.  More and more warriors joined, building a hill of squirming bodies. From either corner of the battlefield, the Stone Warriors who were too far away, collapsed, a red cloud appearing above them. A scarlet mist flowed out of the lower warriors' mouths, dulling their scarlet eyes and stilling their movements. The next layer was quick to meet the same fate and the mist grew in size and it rose faster. When it reached her, a voluminous cloud of power, it condensed. The cloud crept to her like a huge freakish amoeba. Lyria changed the tone of her song. No. Clumsy. Unworthy. Ugly.

Agony radiated from the mist as it convulsed in pain, unaccustomed to the foreign experience.

She pictured Casteel in her mind. Casteel glowing with magic on Starfall, moving with elegance and grace as he twirled her around the floor.

Strong. Beautiful. Perfect. Worthy of me.

A shudder ran through the earth and she nearly lost my balance. Vines and roots breached the surface like phantom veins and surged towards the mist. It spun like a hurricane, weaving the plants around it. The monster was building something, throwing all of its energy and magic into it. The cloud sucked in more energy like a black hole. The surrounding trees withered and turned brown and knarled, the skeletal limbs curling over. It was as if someone had sped up its life, or in this case taken it away. Dead.

Yes, she encouraged, Glowing. Beautiful. Yes.

Her vision swam. Lyria's heart slammed in the cage of her ribs. She had channeled too much magic at once and now she felt her body slowly give out. She pushed against the dizziness, she had to hold on. So close now...

The mist was gone now, along with the vegetation. Only its centre remained, a blinding white light. Lyria held up a hand against the illumination. It dimmed enough that she was able to see a glowing man. She watched as it took a step towards her and the light dimmed further until it disappeared.

She looked at his face. It was identical to the man she loved. Casteel's perfect features stared back at her, outlined with a faint golden glow.

He looked godlike. Love exploded in her chest and the copy smiled. It wasn't Casteel's smile, with a touch of wickedness that she had fallen in love with.

It opened its arms and called to her.

Join me.

Lyria kept singing to it as she picked up her sword, channeling everything she had into the notes, a sweet song filled with love and longing. Somewhere close Casteel screamed her name. In her memories, Casteel whispered "I love you" and her fear disappeared. She stepped towards the copy and towards its outstretched fingers. It smiled again. The fake smile.

She offered a smile of her own, a wolf's smile. It faltered as it took in her expression but her sword had already plunged into its head, where the centre of the mind burned with magic. 

The murderous, beautiful monster fell to its knees. The resounding wave of magic exploded out, making her drop her sword.

She had killed it. 

Her legs gave out and she collapsed to the ground. She had nothing left. Had given everything.

So that Casteel would live. Everyone would live.

Author's note: 

Welp, shit went down. This chapter is shorter than my others but it was really the second half of the last chapter which turned out to be too long so I had to split it. 

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed!

Thanks for reading x