Chapter 10: Breakthrough

Sarah's POV:

My eyes snap open and I realize I had fallen asleep. I shoot up from my spot and look at the clock, it's 10:28 PM.

I quickly gather my things and put them on the bed. I go to the door and sneak out. I go up the stairs and peak into Jared's room. The snoring confirms he's out. I quietly go back to my room and look out the window.

It's black outside. The only light hitting the forest is coming from the moon. I look at the nails and then at the forest that is so close, but so far. I glance at the door. I know I'm going to wake him, so I need to barricade the door to give me enough time to get out.

I go the the dresser and begin to pull. It's hard to pull. My strength is gone. I go to the mirror and look at my neck. That son of a...! I can't even describe in words how mad I am! He waited until I went to sleep! Coward!

I throw my fist onto the dresser in frustration. I can't believe this. I put my hand up to the small hole in my neck and feel the stinging sensation when I touch it. I put my head in my hands and think.

I could still get the nails up, but I need something to pull them up the first centimeter. I wonder if I could get my Cat's nails out?

I shake my wrist and they don't come.

'You have to help me.' I tell her. I suddenly feel her strength rise and I try my hardest. There's no other way to describe the feeling other than trying to push on a brick wall. After about the eighth try they come out.

The blackish brown sharp nails now replace my regular nails. Now, to move this dresser.

I get on the right side of the dresser and put my feet on the wall with my back to the dresser. I push as hard as I can on the wall until my legs straighten and the dresser is in front of the door. Next I move the couch, then the end-table. By now it's almost midnight.

I go over to the window and look at the two nails that are embedded deeply into the wood. I take a shaky breath and stare. I have at least sixty seconds to get out the window before Jared gets the door down.

I take my sharp nails and scrape at the wood around the both of the iron nails. When I'm about a centimeter into the wood of both nails, I have pieces of wood embedded in my fingers, but I was lucky enough that the nails didn't touch them. I pull the wood from my fingers, trying to ignore the stinging.

Here comes the worst part. With my leather bag firmly on my back, I take a deep breath and hold it. I grab the nail and pull as hard as I can. I let out a scream-like growl and continue. I suddenly hear Jared yell, "Sarah!" From down the hall.

I didn't even hear him come up the stairs. By the time I get the nail out tears are rolling down my face and my hand looks scorched.

I use my undamaged hand to grab the second one and once again, I scream. I suddenly hear pounding on the door. He's trying to break it down.

I growl out as the nail comes loose and I fall back on my rear. I quickly jump up and push the window up. By now, Jared has the door open about five inches.

"No! Sarah, don't!" He yells.

"Why do you care?!" I yell back as I throw my feet out the window and land on the slanted roof. I'm still crying like a baby because the pain in my hands. I jump down to the porch awning on the first floor and look up.

Jared is now looking out of the window, his hair all over his face along with his fury. I jump down and land feet first. It hurts, but not as bad as I thought it would. I can still feel my Cat trying to push to the surface.

If she can get the strength to take over, I can shift. But not until she fights off the medicine with our adrenaline. I begin to run, making it to the tree line. I look back just in time to see Jared hit the ground and shift into his Wolf.

I am so dead.

I take off running and go as fast as I can. There's no way I'm going to make it to Hubbard like this. I can't do it in human form.

Something hard hits my back and I hit the ground, gasping for breath. Dirt is in my face and I can feel rocks and roots digging into my skin. I roll over, sitting on top of me is a large black wolf with brown eyes.

I take a deep breath and look at him. His appearance triggers something in my mind. He sits above me, growling, his teeth bared and fury burning in his eyes like a flame. He looks familiar, in a bad way.

Suddenly, something inside me breaks. It feels like a barrier shattering. I feel my strength. He stands a little and I feel my Cat take over.

He see's the shift in my eyes and he looks confused. My eyes are currently a glowing aqua blue. I shift beneath him, causing him to back away.

I stand up, well actually Maylan stands up. I can take control when I choose, but right now I need her.

She gets in a stance that say's she's ready to fight.

My brother is lucky I love him this much.