Chapter 22: Same Old Goofy Brother

Sarah's POV:

"I think there's bears out here." Marcus claims as he surveys the scratches on a random tree.

"Well no duh, Sherlock." I reply, a dumb look on my face. Marcus and I decided to go on an early run while the sun was rising. I of course made Adam and Jared in charge, but I only woke Adam. If I woke Jared he would have probably stalked us.

Marcus simply smiles and keeps looking forward. I stare at him for a minute, "What? No comeback?" I ask.

He shrugs his shoulders and continues on. That's different. Usually Marcus and I have a full on war with that. We keep throwing comebacks until someone gives up. I just ignore it and move on.

Most of the damage to Marcus has healed. There are no more cuts or bruises, but he's still sore here and there. His Wolf had helped him heal most of the night, meaning those wounds were fresh.

"You're different." I randomly announce. He turns to me and gives me a hard stare, "What do you mean?" He ask's, a defensive tone coming through.

"I mean, you're not the same goofy, comeback throwing, irritating Brother. Your personality has dulled out a bit. No, matured is a better word." I reply. I'm telling the truth. He always acted happy-go-lucky in the Tribe. After the attack, when he got this Pack, he matured, but still opened up when it was just him and I. But now, he's mature all the time and seems to keep to himself more often.

"I'm not sure rather to take that to offense or as a compliment." He reply's. I roll my eyes and shove him, "You're it!" I yell and take off.

He begins to chase me and I make a wide "U" turn back to the Pack house, "I'll race ya!" I yell behind me.

About half way there and he takes the lead. I then push myself as hard as I can to beat him there, but he wins. It's not that I'm mad, it's just that Cat's are faster than Wolves. He's never out-run me before. I guess I'm just out of shape.

Marcus and I begin to laugh for no reason, just like old times, as we make our way back to where we slept. After a mini laugh attack, I freeze when I see Jared with his arms crossed. This reminds me from when I was a teenager and got caught sneaking out of the house, well, back in the house, with Marcus.

"Hey, Bigfoot?" I say, but it comes out more like a question. He raises one eyebrow and gives me that look that say's, 'Really?'

Marcus then say's something that makes me nearly fall over with laughter, "You know Jared, it looks like you're gaining a little weight. Keep it up and you really will be Bigfoot."

Jared sends him a harsh glare when Adam suddenly comes over beside Jared and tells Marcus, "So will your Mom."

This halt's my laughter and I stare. Marcus, Adam, and even Jared chuckle a bit. It's not the least bit funny to me. I look at Marcus, completely bewildered.

Last time someone joked about Dad or Mom, rather they meant it or not, he broke their jaw. Marcus's small smile and chuckle throws me off.

"What?" Marcus ask's once he realizes I'm staring at him.

I look at Adam and growl, "Watch your mouth, Pup." I've begun to notice Adam's immaturity. Not because of his comments, well, sort of, but mainly his actions.

He bows his head in respect and walks away. I look at Marcus and growl, "Something's wrong with you." I then take off and head towards the North. After a few minutes of walking, I find a tree to climb. After I get about twenty feet high, I stop and sit on a thick branch.

I haven't thought about Mom in a while. I've tried to avoid it.

I look down when I see Jared below, staring back at me. I huff in frustration. No privacy around here. I climb down and as soon as he opens his mouth, I interrupt him, "I don't want to talk about it. So just shut up for a minute."

Surprisingly, he doesn't argue, he just follows me back.

After arriving, I called a Pack meeting. This only consisted of Marcus, Jared, Adam, and I. We're currently discussing where to go.

"I have a Pack house that should fit us all a good way's away from here. It's kind of like a vacation house now," Jared claims, "I worried about it at first, but no one knows about it. The one Sarah and I stayed at, people like John knew where that was. This one, no one knows of it. It was mainly for storage, but that was years ago, it was cleared out. Therefor, I kept it."

"How many houses do you have?" I ask.

"This is the last one." He chuckles.

"We've gotten lucky again. What do you say, Marcus? Adam?" I ask. After a quick agreement, we begin to lead the Pack there. We lost around thirty people. Meaning we only have around 120 members, maybe 110.

A Pack house holds much less, about fifty to sixty people. But Jared said this would hold us all, so it must be large.

My train of thought crashes when I get an overwhelming feeling. It feels like dread. My heart beats faster and I feel like I'm having a panic attack, but I don't know why.

Jared obviously felt my fear and he comes up next to me. He gives me a questioning look and I just smile and shake my head, looking the other way. Marcus is in front of me and Adam is at the back of the Pack.

I happen to look at Marcus's neck and see that the symbol is gone. His Wolf couldn't heal it in the first place, it looked like a brand mark, so how would it be gone? I stare at the clean spot on his neck that had once looked infected last time I saw him.

That's a bit concerning.