Chapter 2: With A Passion

Sarah's POV:

I follow the street, seven houses down. There stands my brothers gray brick home. I guess I'm in Austin, Texas.

I'm in Austin, Texas...

I need to get in and get out, fast. I run inside and quietly shut the door behind me. On the inside, the house looks the same. I breathe in the air and smell nothing. There was no one here when the Wolves came through the city.

I step through the living room and into the kitchen. I know my brother. He's smart. If he's alive, he would leave me a clue, something.

Everywhere, on the counter, papers are scattered. They look like documents. Whatever he was looking for, he was in a rush to find it. I pick one up, it's all about landmarks, blue prints. He was an architect so that's not surprising.. One paper in specific catches my eye. I pick it up and scan over it. It was dated for five years ago, it's all about landmarks.

Many erase marks are on the page, borders constantly changing. Looking closer I realize it was for the West Mountain Pack. At the bottom of the paper, written in pencil, are a bunch of numbers highlighted in yellow.

I fold it, stuffing it in my shirt pocket securely. I grab a few more papers and stuff them in a random file. I just want to get out of here. I crease the file to make it fit inside my jacket.

I jog to the door, opening it, and silently shut it behind me. I take off running and come to a stop in the middle of town.

To the left is a small Café that Memaw used to take us to all of the time. I nervously glance around for a brief second, then walk up to it. The windows are shattered. I step through the door, careful to avoid the glass.

I begin to cough when the rancid odor hits my nose. I grab the neck of my jacket and hold it to my nose to avoid the smell. A few dead men still lay on the floor. The scent from them mixing with the rotten food.

I continue to look around at the small country place until my eyes begin to water from both the smell and memories. I shake my head and quickly slip back through the door.

After still hearing nothing but silence in the dead city, I just walk. I head back for the woods while going through the middle of town. My knife stays in hand just in case. My stomach begins to growl, reminding me that I need to eat.

I continue to walk, lost in thought. What was Marcus looking for in such a hurry? Why did he care about the West Mountain Pack? Was he working with them with building something? Did he know this was going to happen?

He always stayed a Lone Wolf. Yes, I said Wolf. My father was a Wolf and my mother was a Shifter. They tried to hide their love from other Wolves, but it got my father killed right after we were born. For some reason Marcus got the Wolf, and I got the Cat.

Although, if he was a Wolf, wouldn't they have spared him? He was one of them, in a way.

My thoughts break when I suddenly hear talking. My heart begins to beat faster. The second I heard the talking I had rounded the corner of the building, only to be met by two men. Wolves, to be specific.

They stop talking and stop in their tracks. I don't move either.

"No way," the skinny one say's, "There's one left."

I hated that. Being referred to as one, it, thing.

The skinny one has brown hair and brown eyes, a little on the short side, while the more bulky one is really tall, brown hair, brown eyes, they're possibly brothers.

A howl suddenly erupts from the forest. The kind that shakes the foundation you stand on. The Alpha. I have to say, I did kind of ask for this. The large one just stares like he's completely dumbfounded, as if he's trying to figure something out.

His eyes suddenly turn stone cold and hold nothing but hate. Like I said, they hate us. With a passion.

I bolt, shifting in the process. I take off towards the woods as fast as I can with the files securely in my jacket that shifted with me.

"Get it!" He yells. His authority is obvious. He sounds like the son of a higher-up. Possibly the Alpha's son, maybe the Beta.

I suddenly hear and feel the pounding of paws behind me. I'm careful to avoid and jump pot-holes and cracks, sometimes weeds, in the roads. Stray cars, even dead bodies, I have to jump to avoid tripping.

Suddenly there's more paws. I take the chance at looking back and see a huge silver Wolf, and an even bigger black Wolf. All of my instincts cry Alpha.

Man, I really did it this time.