Epilogue

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

The Best of Love

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Laurie stepped out of the carriage, looking up at the house he hadn't seen in quite a few years. After staying in America for the last three years, he came to realize just how much he missed his childhood home. Right in-front of him, standing tall and graceful was the mansion, looking as if it hadn't changed even a little.

He heard smaller steps coming from behind him, and smiled slightly when he saw his son, Teddy, holding a red lollipop in his hand. The young toddler looked like he was just about to drop down onto the pavement and fall asleep. It was a long ride home, so he understood how tired the young boy must've been.

Gesturing for Teddy to rest in Laurie's arms, he was relieved when his son didn't hesitate even a little and stepped right into the comfort of his father's arms. Even if he dropped his sucker on the way up.

"Teddy? Is that really you?" Laurie turned around to face the direction of the voice. What stood a few feet before him had struck him completely by surprise. Standing right there with a wide grin was none other than Josephine March. 

She had grown a little taller since the last time he'd seen her. Her hair was completely let out, different from her previous look of a clip holding her hair back. Still, despite the long time apart, she still managed to look like the years had done her well.

"Jo!" he finally called out, dashing towards his childhood friend, but being careful not to drop the little boy resting in his arms. He gave her a small hug - though it came out a bit awkward because of the position he had found himself in. "How - I mean, how are you?"

Jo grinned. "I've been okay. I haven't seen you in years—"

"I guess being married does that to you," he cut her off, his smile not faltering.

It was as if the cogs were finally being registered into her mind. She refused to acknowledge it before, but there was a little toddler in Laurie's arms. She thought that maybe the child was a distant relative or something. But the fact that—

"I didn't know you had married." Jo's mouth dipped down just a little. However, it went back up in a matter of seconds. It had Laurie feeling like he had just imagined the whole thing. She gazed at the little boy in her friend's arms and realized the uncanny resemblance between the two. Dark and curly hair, hazel eyes; she almost felt foolish for not realizing it sooner. "Is this — your son?"

Laurie just nodded, studying Jo's expression briefly, as if he was trying to read into how she was feeling at the moment. "His, uh, his name is Teddy."

Jo's smile widened a little as she rubbed the child's hair. "Who?" She cleared her throat. "Who's the lucky lady?"

She wasn't even sure why she should've been caring. It's not like it was her business anyway, or perhaps it was. Knowing Laurie for as long as she did, it made sense that she was acting so strangely at the shocking news.

"Annie."

Of course it was her. Those two had such an odd relationship when they first met, it was bound that the two would end up together eventually. She tugged on the hem of her dress, suddenly finding it of much interest. Glancing down at her ring-less hand, she sighed.