Chapter 19

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

A Difference in Culture

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

Annie McLaren searched through the pile of books her aunt had bought her for one thing in particular. Ever since her arrival to Europe, she'd been sending letters back and forth with the March sisters: Amy, in particular. 

Nearly a few months since she moved away, and it made her happy to know that none of her family back in Concord had forgotten about her. 

Finally finding an empty envelope under one of the Jane Austen novels, Annie grabbed a pencil from her desk and scribbled on a mailing address on the front and slipped in her letter to Jo.

Just then, Aunt March knocked twice on the young girl's bedroom door, entering without hearing a confirmation. "Are you dressed, dear?" 

"Yes, Auntie," Annie replied, motioning to the simple, yet formal dress she had on. 

The two were set to head over to the LeBlanc family's estate home on the other side of town. Their visit would last a week, and the elders of both families hoped that this would be an opportunity for the younger individuals to get to know each other before being betrothed in a few years' time. 

That being said, this would also be their first visit ever since Annie's arrival. The LeBlanc family had business to attend to, so they weren't able to formally meet each other until just now. 

Tucking in the letter beneath her pillow, Annie quietly reminded herself to post the letter upon her return. 

It was only when the aunt and niece were inside the carriage on their way, did Annie ask a few questions.

"Are you certain they'll like me?" 

It didn't take a genius to tell that she meant Maxwell's parents, who she was meeting for the first time. Even when he was at the March house attending the gathering, his parents weren't there with him.

Aunt March had heard her. "Why, of course," she said. "Why wouldn't they? What's not to like about you?"

"Oh, I don't know. . ." The blonde replied, staring out the window opening of the transportation.  

"Listen, dear," Aunt March said, a warning tone evident in her voice. "I know you'll be wonderful around them, but don't think too much. It'll. . . well, cause underage wrinkles and you'll begin to look old. That's too early since you're not even married yet. Plus, I assure you your future husband would not like that very much, let alone his family." 

Annie just nodded, but truthfully she had stopped listening after the first sentence. 

And before she knew it, she had arrived - not so sure about what was coming up. 

***

The LeBlanc Mansion was utterly lovely. Even for such a well-off family, it was considered vast, with pristine ivory white walls, gilded windows, a lush green garden and a myriad of blooming flowers in a whole rainbow of different colors. There was also a small pond, as well as a fair-toned gate which led to something beyond Annie's dreams.