Chapter 28

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

The Warmth of the Sun

━━━━━━☆☆━━━━━━

The sun was bright up in the sky and the March sisters had taken it upon themselves to explore the outside world - more particularly, the beach. The last time that the sisters visited the site was years ago when they were still young girls discovering themselves and each other. And now that they were adults with their own lives to handle, they still hoped to make the most of the sunshine.

Annie strolled along the ocean shore, her hands lifting the hem of her beige dress just slightly so as not to get it unnecessarily wet. As she looked ahead at the ocean with the wind blowing through her hair, she recalled the first time she ever came to this beach. Almost five years since and she couldn't forget a thing.

All of the girls stood in front of an unknown man and woman, Laurie and John Brooke beside him. The unknown man smiled at the girls kindly and Amy was the only one to return it without nervousness.

"This is Fred Vaughn and his sister, Kate," said Laurie, his hands tucked into his pockets. "Fred, this is Meg, Amy, Beth and Jo."

"So pleased to meet you," Fred greeted, his words directed towards the March sisters. He shifted his gaze towards Annie, a curious look on his face. "And you are?"

"That's Annie McLaren," Laurie hurriedly explained, causing the said girl to giggle.

Fred's smile widened, though it was not directed towards the other boy. Just as he contemplated stepping forward and offering his hand in greeting to Annie, he was interrupted by Amy advancing forward first. Fred raised a brow before shaking the girl's hand politely.

"I'm Amy March. You remember that name, I'm going to come find you one day."

If he was surprised at all by Amy's bluntness, he didn't let it show and instead nodded his head awkwardly. Fred looked past her only to frown slightly as Annie was now heading for the other way, seemingly wanting to leave the two alone. He looked at Amy again, smiling. "Oh, I'm certain you will."

"The nerve of some people!" Jo bellowed, interrupting Annie's distant memory. "Can't believe -"

"What happened?"

"Nothing . . ." Jo murmured as Annie repeated her question, prodding the girl to continue.

". . . I went up North before coming here to meet with some editor for a story of mine. A big, bulky man who - mind you - had a little too much hair if I do say so myself," Jo explained, annoyance etched across her features. "Said he absolutely hated the book and how I should know where I belong."

Annie glanced at her friend, her brows furrowed. "Well that's not very nice," she said. "Who even referred you to him?"

Jo took a shallow breath. "Teddy."

Of course, it was Laurie. He'd probably known this so-called editor before referring him to Jo, but he wasn't aware of just how different this man was whenever talking to women.

"I'm sure he didn't mean to refer you to such a person purposely," Annie soothed, but she knew the girl probably couldn't be helped. She glanced ahead where she saw Laurie approaching them. "Speak of the devil . . ."

Jo followed McLaren's gaze and her cheeks reddened, but certainly not from shyness. Just the look on her face and anybody would be able to tell that they were to not mess with the March sister at this time.