Chapter 7 - Not So Heartless After All

Start from the beginning

"They sent you to sweet talk me, love," He declared, "Do you realize what that means?" He frowned, putting on his serious face. Without a word, I shook my head negatively, giving him the answer he wanted.

''They think they can mess with my head. They think you can mess with my head. So let's make this clear.'' Any trace of kindness in his eyes disapperared as he pronnounced those words slowly, causing me to hold my breath. It felt like I was waiting for a bomb to explode, just like everytime this guy speaks.

''I am not going to go soft. I do not care how badly the east side get hurt. I do not care if something happens to them and I sure as hell do not care if they are vulnerable at the moment, am I making myself clear?''

Feeling rage and disappointment take over me, I nodded silently and got up without a word. The guys thought Haze cared for me enough to be kind for once and clearly they were wrong.

''Winter, sit,'' He sighed, like he didn't take me seriously and expected me to obey.

''Well, you're clearly not going to help so why bother wasting my time trying to find some humanity in mister bad boy?'' I declared without glancing his way and kept walking.

''And how do you think you're going to get home?'' He said, mocking me a little.

"I don't know, I guess I'll just walk or maybe I'll call Kendrick to pick me up. Oh no, wait ! Your brother beat him up,'' I replied sarcastically and rushed out of the restaurant before he could stop me. I thought he would follow me, you know since that's what they all do in fanfictions, but hey I guess Haze is not one to be concerned. Why didn't I wait until he drove me home to make a scene? Stupid Winter!

I was starting to wonder how the hell I would actually get home. I had no idea where I was since I had never been into this part of the town. I reached in my pocket for my phone but remembered Haze had it. Crap ! I had gotten pretty far from the restaurant already and I was standing close to some kind of abandonned factory. I was seriously considering running back to Haze. How could this be possible ? That the most dangerous guy in my school was somehow the most reassuring option at the moment ?

''You're an idiot.''

Recognizing Haze's voice, I thanked god. I though this was going to be a cliche moment when the girl makes a scene and goes out by herself and gets attacked. I felt so relieved to hear his voice that I almost felt bad for being this happy to see him.

''Yeah, I figured that out when I realized I had no idea where I was, thanks,'' I turned around and adressed him an arrogant smile.

He rolled his eyes, smirking ''Oh please, don't pretend like you're not relieved that I came after you to save your ass, again, notice the word again,'' He grinned, stepping closer.

''I would thank you but..'' I glanced around ''Saving me would require something to save me from, you see.'' He made a face, clearly annoyed by my comebacks.

''You got lucky this time but take my advice, don't make a scene and go out all by yourself at night again. You're hanging out with the bad kids now and that makes you a target, remember?''

He was now standing in front of me, trying to iniate eye contact. Which I refused him, avoiding his eyes.

"So what ? You made it clear that you didn't care one bit if something happened to me, remember? '' I used his own words against him, still smiling in a challenging way.

''You're one stubborn chick, you know that?'' He shook his head from left to right, annoyed and amused at the same time.

"I'm not stubborn, I'm realistic. Those are your words, not mine,'' I stated.