SpongeBob from Hell - Mason

Hey guys!!! How are you? I hope you all are doing well, and if not I hope everything will get better for you in the future. I apologize about the super long absence. Life. That's all I have to say about that. Either way I have been working on this chapter slowly, but surely, and I have probably rewritten it four or five times so here's to hoping I finally got it perfected. I just want you all to know that I love you. Proceed.

-RayneGenesis

Mason

It's five o'clock on the dot when I wake up. The living room is still relatively dark and the house rather silent. I lift my head slowly to glance over at the lump under the blankets on the other couch. He seems to be in a deep sleep so I go ahead and roll off of the couch I'm occupying and onto my feet. I shuffle over to my two lone suitcases opening them and grabbing a pair of jeans and a black shirt. It's difficult to pull on my pants in the dark but eventually I succeed in slipping into them before tugging on the shirt. As quietly as I can I reach underneath the couch and pull out my journal and my pen before padding through the darkness to the back door. It's definitely a challenge getting it open without making a racket but I heave it hard enough that it slides open with a relatively quick noise. I take a second to breathe in the fresh night air admiring the way the moon shines over the pool.

The water barely ripples with the breeze giving it the glassy illusion of a mirror.  I lean over and roll up my pants before sitting down and slipping my feet in the water. An immediate shiver curls up my spine but I ignore it and open my book. I stare at the familiar page, the page that I religiously stare at every time I open the book. I follow the curves and the edges remembering as my heart beats faster. I lean over as the overwhelming need to gag crashes into me. I'm fairly close to vomiting my guts when a voice penetrates the silence.

"What are you doing?" I jump but quickly compose myself when I see it's my 'roommate' Gabriele. I don't answer him and instead just stare slightly off to the left of his face. "Who's that?" I tilt my head slightly confused before realizing that my journal is still wide open in my lap. I turn away from him and snap it shut. New tactic Mason. Just pretend he isn't here.

Instead of going away like I thought he would he walks over and sits down in just his black boxers. I watch as he slips his feet into the water right next to mine before a light click shoots through the air. Looking up I stare at him as he lights a cigarette the smoke coming out in a quick stream as he breathes out. He glances at me and I quickly look away staring out at the water. "How old did you say you were?" He questions his deep voice practically traveling through the ground towards me. I don't answer and instead kick my legs in the water gently creating a ripple that travels throughout the whole pool. "Are you mute?"

Instead of replying I pull myself from the ground and make to leave but Gabriele quickly grabs my wrist in his palm holding tightly. "I'm not letting you leave until you say something."

"Twenty-three" I say staring at his hand on my wrist.

"What?"

With a hasty jerk I yank my hand away from him and continue on my way inside turning on the kitchen light and setting my journal down relatively close to me. Gabriele follows me into the room spreading the smoke throughout the kitchen. I give him a blank stare as he leans against the counter.

"Did you just say Twenty-three?"

"How old are you?" I deadpan staring straight at him. He huffs and turns away taking a drag from his cigarette. "Are you mute?" I say, reaching into the cupboard to grab a mug before turning to the fridge to grab a gallon of chocolate milk. I poor it slowly keeping my eyes on the man in front of me. He looks up as if he's exasperated and purses his lips.