You shot up, breathing heavily as if you had just resurfaced from being underwater. There was nothing but fog around you, and beyond that, darkness. You were in a patch of sand that extended for miles, pyre flies fluttering along, leaving their trademark glow behind them. As you stood, you heard your name being called once more, and to the voice, the pyre flies reacted, creating an image—or scene rather—where you were able to see through the people in it.

There was a crowd running haphazardly in all directions, you couldn’t tell from what though. They soon flashed, and disappeared by bursting into multiple pyre flies, one image still running. His hair was long, and flowing behind him. In a traditional warrior’s garb of all black, he was stained with splotches of blood, injured as well. With sword drawn at his side, his primary objective was to defeat the enemies that appeared before him. It took you a moment, but after watching closely, you recognized the warrior as none other than your kudan—Kei.

“[Name]!”

It was him who was calling your voice, and as you reached out to touch him, your hand only went through. Pulling back, you looked around, and in seeing nothing else, closed your eyes, forcing yourself to wake up. When that didn’t work, you reopened them, and watched helplessly as the ravenette coughed, and lurched forward, rage in his eyes.

“Let her go! …Why!? What do you mean why did I come here!? I came because I—”

The ground beneath you rumbled, and then, broke. Pyre flies scattered so quickly that as you fell and fell, they sparkled beautifully overhead like glittering stars clustered into one. As you felt darkness shroud you once more though, you heard a yell of agony—only it was more barbaric than human.

***

A strong light hit your closed eyes, making you shut them tighter, and cover yourself with the blanket that was placed from your waist down. When the light didn’t leave and peeked through the blanket still strong, you sighed and lowered it, opening your eyes fully, vision adjusting to the plain white celling above you. The events you last remembered resurfaced, and you curiously sat up, finding that the light came from the sole window on your left side by the sun.

You looked around the unfamiliar wood paneled room. There was no furniture except for the bed itself, a nightstand to your right with a lamp, and dresser against the right wall where the door rested at the end. The floor was also wooden, and as you were to lie back down, you caught sight of the boy whose head lay where your right palm was.

Arms together to make a pillow for himself on the bed, he sat on a wooden chair, hunched forward, sleeping. He was in a new change of clothes—a dark blue shirt and black skinny jeans—with his slightly wet hair dripping onto the shoulders of his shirt. You furrowed your eyebrows, seeing a tear escape the corner of his right eye, he shutting them even tighter. A thud seeming to come from across the hall made him jolt up cautiously, and he looked around, alerted. When his eyes fell on you, he relaxed, a small smile forming across his face, and he wiped his eyes, along with it the tear.